crop produces file that can only play on Humax

cloud9

I used crop to get an ~7min segment from a 3 hour program (BBC Breakfast). The resulting file plays fine on the Humax, but when I download it to the PC neither Windows Media Player nor VLC can play it. I can play other programmes I have downloaded to the PC from the Humax, so it's not a general problem. Any ideas? Not critical, just wondering why not.

Duration: 7 minute(s). (Scheduled: 195)
Size: 159.18 MiB
Flags: ODEncrypted Shrunk

Also I notice it still gives me the option to shrink, despite having the Shrunk flag. And the downloaded file has the correct name (which IME normally only happens for already decrypted files) rather than the 2300.TS type filename.

And finally (not CFW, but) why can you not add bookmarks while paused - that would seem the most logical time to add a bookmark?

The Flags: ODEncrypted Shrunk is saying the file is encrypted. The file needs to have the green DEC icon against it before you transfer it to a computer. Have a look at the flow chart and notes on Encryption HERE. Content Sharing must be turned on (see the notes)

Ah, forgot to say I was using web-if Download option which I thought did the streaming thing, so no decryption needed surely...

(I very rarely decrypt anything and often watch things from PC, don;t think I am misremembering previous steps)

Web-if (OPT+) Download will normally decrypt 'on-the-fly' as long as the file has no 'ENC' icon against it and has been indexed for DLNA, i.e. it has been allocated a DLNA URL, as in the example below

Webif-media-detail.png

Aha - I was going to paste the whole info, but the preview showed it was going to be awful formatting, so I don't know for sure, but I don't think there was a DLNA URL, but there is now. So I suspect I did it too soon (fairly soon after the crop) and before it had indexed the new file - would that make sense? That would also explain why I got the programme name as the filename instead of the 2289.TS which I get now. So presumably opt->download has a fallback when it can't stream it.

Yes that would make sense, after a crop the new file needs to be DLNA indexed prior to the OPT+ Download, this is done by the Humax and can take some time, placing the Humax in standby and then waking it back up can speed up the allocation of DNLA URLs by the Humax, look for this icon against a file :- DLNA-small.jpg. Without this icon you will get a straightforward 'download' rather than a 'decrypt + download'

Yes, I guess I have to pay more attention to the icons, but mainly knowing and remembering the following will help me next time.
  1. Download doesn't always do the decrypting streaming type download. It falls back to a straightforward download when no streaming available.
  2. Need to wait for any new file to be DLNA indexed before it can be streamed.
Many thanks.

Back