Current_Pending_Sector/Offline_Uncorrectable errors - will fix-disk help?

Yeah, it's a bit too knee-jerk and alarmist in this case. The problem is how to tell when to display the message and when not.

The drive was bought as new from Amazon - a Seagate ST2000VM003. Do I need to return the drive?
No, it's just a stupid bug. The number has gone down (which can't happen with the same drive), but it just detects a change without sanity checking the number (and it's hopefully 0 in your case).
JOOI, what is the manufacturing date?

No, it's just a stupid bug. The number has gone down (which can't happen with the same drive), but it just detects a change without sanity checking the number (and it's hopefully 0 in your case).
JOOI, what is the manufacturing date?
Where would I find the manufacturing date?

So I just installed the new 2TB drive, and reinstalled the full web IF. The first time I accessed the web IF I got this warning. The drive was bought as new from Amazon - a Seagate ST2000VM003. Do I need to return the drive?
View attachment 4997

It is the same issue that caused you to worry earlier
OK I'll do another fix-disk with -P -y. In the meantime I just logged into the web IF and got this:
View attachment 4974
Reading between the lines, would it be sensible just to replace the drive, rather than waiting for it to fail (and lose my recordings)?
It reports changes in values not just getting worse so you often get an alert After running fix-disk

The fact current health is unknown indicates to me this is really a new disk that hasnt had SMART statistics set yet rather than a refurbished old drive, running a long test to establish base line figures will be a good idea

You might think there would be some information in here that should be checked before putting up a big pink banner, possibly even used as part of the key in the disk stats database:
Code:
# smartctl -i /dev/sdb 
smartctl 6.4 2015-06-04 r4109 [7405b0-smp-linux-2.6.18-7.1] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-15, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Video 3.5 HDD
Device Model:     ST2000VM003-1ET164
Serial Number:    W520KQM1
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 07d902121
#

Back