Custom firmware and CEC?

mrbothered

Hi all, newbie here.
I have a Pioneer home theater with several bit of kit plugged in, one being my Humax Fox T2. When I turn my TV on the Pioneer and Humax turn on but after a minute the Pioneer switches input to TV. I switch it back to the T2 and it is fine for the rest of the night. I have tried all sorts to try and sort this. Turning the PC or DVD on switches the Pioneer to the correct input and maintains it with no problems.
What I think might be happening is there is no CEC signal from the T2 so the Pioneer switches to the default input, TV.
What I am asking is, can I get a custom firmware that might give me this CEC signal to maintain the Pioneer?
Sorry for the long winded post.
Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, the Custom FirmWare mostly adds functionality that works alongside the Humax functions, CEC is not something that can be controlled by the CFW

Very speedy reply, thank you. I have since read that this seems to be an issue, CEC and Humax, could you tell me if the newer boxes have addressed this?
My T2 must be getting on for 8 years old or so.

I wouldn't bet on it. There is a general problem with CEC (and whatever else it may be called by the manufacturer) in so far as some systems do not play as nicely as they should especially if there is a mix of manufacturers.
If I enable CEC on my T2, and bring it out of standby, it switches the input on my Samsung TV (and it holds) correctly. However, I don';t have it switched on because I don't particularly want to see the Hummy boot process on my TV screen.

I couldn't say how well newer Humax boxes handle CEC and you may not get an answer on this forum, the vast majority of posters own the HDR or HD Fox T2 and haven't gone in for newer models due to the Custom Firmware available for the HDR/HD being so good

I think you have it the wrong way around. AFAIK, CEC enables the TV to pass remote control commands to a video source, not the video source pass commands to the TV. CEC input is known to cause the HDR-FOX to crash.

I think you have it the wrong way around. AFAIK, CEC enables the TV to pass remote control commands to a video source, not the video source pass commands to the TV. CEC input is known to cause the HDR-FOX to crash.

I understand that. I turn the TV on, it sends a signal to the Pioneer HT which turns on and goes to the last input, usually the Humax, the TV then displays the Humax TV channel. One minute later the Pioneer switches to it's default input which is labled 'TV', I think it does this because either it is not getting a CEC from the T2 or just doesn't work well with it. Once I switch the Pioneer back to the Humax it will stay on all night. It is just on switch on when it fails as then it is doing it automatically. If I switch the DVD on (Samsung) the Pioneer switches right away to output the DVD. I just wondered if there was a way through Custom firmware to force, or fix, change, whatever, the CEC signal. It seems not. Thanks for the replies though guys.

So what is the technical name for the control down the HDMI connection that switches my TV to the T2 input when I bring the TG2 out of standby?

I understand that.
It seems you don’t...
not getting a CEC from the T2
I just said the CEC signal goes from the TV to the video source, not the other way around.

I just wondered if there was a way through Custom firmware to force, or fix, change, whatever, the CEC signal.
Even if CEC did what you want (which it doesn’t), we have no access to change it. The CF runs alongside the Humax code, self-contained within the memory and file system, and does not interfere with the peripheral hardware at all.

Last edited:
So what is the technical name for the control down the HDMI connection that switches my TV to the T2 input when I bring the TG2 out of standby?
TG2?

If the TV is monitoring its HDMI inputs, it it perfectly capable of switching to one that suddenly becomes active. No CEC required.

What I don’t get is how my LG TV managed to turn itself on every time I did anything with my LG Blu-ray player (eg physically press the play button on the unit), despite my HDMI matrix switch having the Blu-ray routed to my projector and not the TV! This annoyance was only solved when I replaced the TV with a Samsung and demoted the LG for use elsewhere.

Trust me: it’s more of a pain having a TV auto-switch than not auto-switch.

I just said the CEC signal goes from the TV to the video source, not the other way around.

I understand that. But what I assumed was that every input device sent a CEC signal? Like if I turn the DVD player on it switches the Pioneer input. I know the TV switches the Pioneer on, I thought the other devices also sent CEC signals? Have I got it all wrong?

Typo. If you notice the 'G' key is just below the 'T' key.

Trust me: it’s more of a pain having a TV auto-switch than not auto-switch.
I'll drink to that. I don't want to see my peripherals booting when SWMBO is watching Corro the TV when I'm only firing up the T2 to set it to record something that I want to watch via the Web Interface on my tablet. I could loose major body parts for doing that.

Have I got it all wrong?
Apparently. Common mistake, apparently. One that I made too, but I did read this.:laugh:
If the TV is monitoring its HDMI inputs, it it perfectly capable of switching to one that suddenly becomes active
Whether you actually want it to or not:frantic:

Last edited:
I understand that. But what I assumed was that every input device sent a CEC signal? Like if I turn the DVD player on it switches the Pioneer input. I know the TV switches the Pioneer on, I thought the other devices also sent CEC signals? Have I got it all wrong?
Instead of just guessing, google ”CEC”.

Last edited:
Google CEC.
I just did. Seems I had it wrong. What was confusing me was just turning the power on to the DVD switches the Pioneer to that input, I assumed the T2 did the same. No I just need to find out why the DVD switches the Pioneer but the T2 doesn't.

We have a Panasonic TV and Panasonic BR player, as well as the Humax boxes. Turning on the player will, once it's established it has a playable disc (and if the TV is in standby but off), turn the TV on. I believe this is a proprietary Panasonic 'viera' link but could be wrong.
The BR player is connected direct to one HDMI on the TV and the Humax boxes through a selector to another, but even when we had a single Humax box with no intervening device it never kicked the TV into action.

OK, I’ll eat my words: the CEC link is bidirectional. However, we know the HDR-FOX doesn’t behave well with it and the general advice is to turn it off at the TV.

CEC is a bi-directional one wire bus. Low level commands can be sent in either direction but remote control commands are normally sent from the TV to the connected device. The "wake up" command will be sent from the device to the TV (assuming it is properly supported by both ends).

Back