Custom Firmware for Foxsat HDR

macgd016

A friend of mine in France has a Foxsat HDR and wants to copy content from the Hummy hard drive to USB memory stick. I have told him how easy it is on the HDR Fox-T2 with the custom firmware but I cant find a similar facility for Foxsat. I'm sure there is one somewhere could someone please point me in the right direction

I just had a mosey over to see what's going on, but of course being avforums everything is in the one thread (as usual). Why not have an equivalent to the HD/HDR-FOX Custom Software forum section hosted here?

I just had a mosey over to see what's going on, but of course being avforums everything is in the one thread (as usual). Why not have an equivalent to the HD/HDR-FOX Custom Software forum section hosted here?

I know what you mean :), but if you download the application in post 1 of the the thread linked to by Raydon then the release notes and the additional notes in the installed application are pretty comprehensive. Post 1 always links to the latest version.

There are always questions though, and bloody difficult to trail through for them uncategorised. With the HDR forum as we have it, at least users can help with answering questions which I'm sure is a boon to AF - and we know how disinclined some are to read the existing info even when comprehensively signposted!

Still, I've made my suggestion. I'm sure Michael would create a new section for it, but it's not my funeral. On the other hand, there is somebody I know with a HD-FOX and a Foxsat HDR...

Update: There now is, and this topic has been moved into it.

Many thanks for this, saved me many hours of searching. One quick question, I only want to copy SD & HD content onto USB, I believe that I can copy the SD content using the OPT+ feature as SD is not encrypted but is HD encrypted on the Foxsat as it is on the HDR Fox-T2 and if it is is there a utility like 'auto-unprotect'. Sorry getting very confused, I stupidly thought that the Foxsat would be similar to the HDR Fox-T, silly me!!

Many thanks for this, saved me many hours of searching. One quick question, I only want to copy SD & HD content onto USB, I believe that I can copy the SD content using the OPT+ feature as SD is not encrypted but is HD encrypted on the Foxsat as it is on the HDR Fox-T2 and if it is is there a utility like 'auto-unprotect'. Sorry getting very confused, I stupidly thought that the Foxsat would be similar to the HDR Fox-T, silly me!!

You can copy HD and SD to usb on the Foxsat-hdr with the standard firmware. The Foxsat is different to the HDR FOX T2. The HDR FOX T2 encrypts everthing it records and is set up to remove the encryption when copying SD content to USB. Raydon discovered that by editing the sidecar file .hmt it's possible to fool the HDR FOX T2 into doing the same thing with HD content. That's the loop hole exploited by Foxy and the custom firmware on this forum. The Foxsat doesn't encrypt SD only HD so lacks the decryption on copy to usb so the same workaround isn't possible.

There are two ways around it that I know of.

Use non-freesat mode (after a reboot in non-freesat) to manually record HD content, this is not encrypted.

Copy/Stream the 0.ts time shift buffer file, this isn't encrypted on a Foxsat-hdr

Well thanks for the explanation, now I can see what can & can't be done, I don't understand the work arounds though but never mind its not for me!

Well thanks for the explanation, now I can see what can & can't be done, I don't understand the work arounds though but never mind its not for me!

Unlike the Freeview box the Foxsat can be used as normal satellite box, so can be used to view thousands of free channels . Even with just a Sky dish there is over 500 free Radio and TV channels in English you can watch. Connect it a dish with more than 1 lnb or a motorised dish (imagine multiple TV aerials that have a range across dozens of transmitters not in the UK). Best plan is to have one of each :)

Screen Shot 2012-06-09 at 11.35.24.pngI've installed the firmware on my Foxsat HDR (Freesat) rev. 4.0.7, but when I try to install the rest of the packages from the web, I get the message above. I tried installing through telnet, similar result. Any ideas on what's wrong and what could I do?

Screen Shot 2012-06-09 at 11.46.05.png

View attachment 193I've installed the firmware on my Foxsat HDR (Freesat) rev. 4.0.7, but when I try to install the rest of the packages from the web, I get the message above. I tried installing through telnet, similar result. Any ideas on what's wrong and what could I do?

View attachment 194

Could be the server was down. I tried a minute ago and got

opkg update
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /opt/var/opkg/base.
Updating package meta information
Done.

I've installed the firmware on my Foxsat HDR (Freesat) rev. 4.0.7, but when I try to install the rest of the packages from the web, I get the message above. I tried installing through telnet, similar result. Any ideas on what's wrong and what could I do?

The hummypkg.org.uk: Unknown Host is the clue. Your box isn't able to perform DNS lookups to resolve the name.
Check the DNS server setting (against a PC/laptop on the same network) and confirm by trying to ping google.com from the command line:

Code:
humax# ping -c 1 google.com
PING google.com (173.194.34.96): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 173.194.34.96: seq=0 ttl=56 time=38.772 ms

--- google.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 38.772/38.772/38.772 ms

(This is assuming that the base firmware for the Foxsat includes ping, I don't have one myself)

(This is assuming that the base firmware for the Foxsat includes ping, I don't have one myself)
Yes it has, so ping google.com should work (This is assuming that you have an Internet connection). Is BBC iPlayer working ?

The hummypkg.org.uk: Unknown Host is the clue. Your box isn't able to perform DNS lookups to resolve the name.
Check the DNS server setting (against a PC/laptop on the same network) and confirm by trying to ping google.com from the command line:

Code:
humax# ping -c 1 google.com
PING google.com (173.194.34.96): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 173.194.34.96: seq=0 ttl=56 time=38.772 ms

--- google.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 38.772/38.772/38.772 ms

af123 and raydon - spot on! I entered a value for the DNS in the HDR menu and it's working. Thanks a lot!

Back