Custom firmware for Humax boxes

Shakey2407

Hi,

New to the site and to PVR's generally (been a bit of a Sky+ HD / Virgin Tivo more money than sense type historically).

I've read a lot about custom firmware for Humax boxes and all of that seems to centre around the HDR Fox T2 and Foxsat boxes, are these the only boxes that this customer firmware is available for or can it be installed on any of the Humax range with selected standard firmware version in situ?

I ask as these boxes (certainly the HDR Fox T2) now seem quite old and can be difficult to get hold of + I'd like to utilise the later models if possible.

Why do I want custom firmware? simply to be able to copy and store my HD content as well as my SD content without lots of faffing about.

In a word, Yes

Later Humax products, had different security features added that have prevented Custom Firmware installation

Thanks Ezra, short and sweet and to the point.

If i were to purchase a Humax PVR that isn't a HDR Fox T2 and copied the HD content to a dongle / external HDD are you aware of any programs I could run on my computer that would remove the encryption? I ask as i'd set my heart on the FVP 4000T which i understand would allow me to copy both SD and HD content to a USB or an external HDD however the limitation being that the HD content could only be played back through that particular box as the encryption is bespoke to the particular box that encrypted it. My concern with that is if that box malfunctioned catastrophically I'd be left with lots of backed up HD content that I could never play via any other hardware.

Sorry if I sound noddy but as stated this is quite new to me, and although I understand the need to protect content by the content providers it does seem that these restrictions provide potential scenario's that are unacceptable to me as an end user.

If i were to purchase a Humax PVR that isn't a HDR Fox T2 and copied the HD content to a dongle / external HDD are you aware of any programs I could run on my computer that would remove the encryption?
Are you aware of any programs you can run that would decrypt the data traffic while you are exchanging credit card details on the Internet? It's the same kind of thing, and if the was you would be asking why the encryption was so insecure!

Back