Custom firmware - Noddy guide

Morpheus

Hi all, been around satellites for a number of years and have recently ditched Sky. I bought a cheap Foxsat-HDR on eBay. All good so far, but have been reading about custom firmware. Is there a Noddy guide anywhere? I'm not adverse to flashing the firmware, but what does it give me that I don't already have? Also need to know a bit more about "webif". Thanks in advance. M

For a rough preview see documentation for HDR-FOX CF (click the Wiki tab at the top of the page) – it's pretty similar but not the same.

...Or just install it and see. It's reversible.

Defeating encryption of HiDef recordings is Nowster's Patch rather than CF.

And no, nobody's likely to go to all the trouble of writing you a dedicated Noddy Guide when it's all there to be found.

Last edited:
I didn't want anybody to write me anything and I didn't ask for that. I simply wanted somebody to point me in the right direction, as you did. Thanks for (most of) your post. M

Note that the documentation for the Foxsat CF is installed as part of the CF, and you access it through the WebIF...

Putting the cart before the horse if you ask me, but that's how it is.

I didn't want anybody to write me anything and I didn't ask for that. I simply wanted somebody to point me in the right direction, as you did. Thanks for (most of) your post. M
This isn't even the primary forum for the Foxsat CF, so see if I care! Go ask over there.

I didn't know that, I assumed Nowster's Patch was an update to the firmware itself. I guess it might have been rolled into the CF and was never re-issued separately for later firmwares.

Nowster’s Patch does modify the original firmware, but it’s built as a custom firmware package so can only be installed after the CF is installed.
The last firmware update was in 2012 for the olympics when there was a problem recording the additional BBC Red Buttons.

Last edited:
I didn't know that, I assumed Nowster's Patch was an update to the firmware itself. I guess it might have been rolled into the CF and was never re-issued separately for later firmwares.
That would have meant distributing a modified Humax binary, which I would guess people were reluctant to do. As it is at the moment, the patching happens on your own box. I guess it would be easy enough to modify the original .hdf, if you were so inclined, to include the patch but none of the rest of the CF. But why would anybody?

Only if you've apologised every time you've been incorrect about something. This is normal discussion.

To anyone familiar with this forum BH reply is aimed straight at my answer something akin to, how dare I suggest the CF is needed?

It turns out that this upbraiding was unnecessary ergo the apology needed.

What's more, you prpr seem not to have noticed right above your post that BH himself offered to apologise.

It seems that you need a little reminding. I'll oblige
No, really I don't. I can read and don't need images made from screen captures from the forum.
how dare I suggest the CF is needed?
You didn't. The OP suggested it.
What's more, you prpr seem not to have noticed right above your post that BH himself offered to apologise.
I see no offer of such. You seem to be inventing things.

Anyway, I have no interest in pursuing anything in your petty little battle, so "I'm out".

Back