Custom Firmware on HDR-2000T

IIRC this was done by somebody having naively installed CF over 1.03.06 and finding it worked, thereby gaining Telnet access. No Telnet, no dump to USB.

No, it was a different technique against an unmodified 1.03.06 box. It would be incredibly risky to attempt anything similar against the 2000T as we don't even know the way that Humax have laid out the flash.

Has anything changed? In other words, has Humax issued a downloadable (not OTA) firmware update?

As the youview looks the same as the HDR fox, could you use the fox soft/firmware to make it into something decent....or is the hardware inside totally different?

There are three different Humax products being referred to here, they are :-
HDR-Fox T2 = Custom Firmware Available
DTR-T1000/1010 (Youview) = No Custom Firmware available (very unlikely to change)
HDR-2000T = No Custom Firmware available at present (may change in the future)

The DTR-T1000 and the HDR-Fox T2 externally are identical, if they are the same inside would it be possible to reprogram the Youview into the HDR-Fox T2?

Given that for HDR Fox T2 af123 was able to capture and decode the 1.03.12 OTA, an OTA for the 2000T might give a way in to the box if it turns out to be in the same general format as seems reasonably likely.

Given that many of the flaws in the HDR2000T can be fixed by custom firmware (eg. no streaming of HD recordings to other boxes), I'd be quite keen to see this done. What it could do with is someone other than af123 to take on the work, once a way in has been cracked.

I'm willing to donate towards a 2000T for work on this if other people are.

The issue of no DLNA streaming of HiDef content is a concern. Is it known if this is a bug, to be fixed at some point, or is it intentional, and here to stay? The HDR-FOX method for automatic decryption of programmes might not work for HiDef content. As Foxy works, allowing removal of the 'enc' flag, an auto-unencrypt package should be able to get HiDef content ready for decryption, but it might only be possible to do this by manually doing an 'Opt+' copy with the remote.

The issue of no DLNA streaming of HiDef content is a concern. Is it known if this is a bug, to be fixed at some point, or is it intentional, and here to stay? The HDR-FOX method for automatic decryption of programmes might not work for HiDef content. As Foxy works, allowing removal of the 'enc' flag, an auto-unencrypt package should be able to get HiDef content ready for decryption, but it might only be possible to do this by manually doing an 'Opt+' copy with the remote.

Well there's the old method of partitioning the hard disc and copying from one partition to another to decrypt. That might work on the 2000T if the streaming method doesn't.

What it could do with is someone other than af123 to take on the work, once a way in has been cracked.
Any particular reason? If it does happen then it can probably make use of many of the existing frameworks and packages on the HDR T2 - many might be able to become universal packages and available on both.

Well there's the old method of partitioning the hard disc and copying from one partition to another to decrypt. That might work on the 2000T if the streaming method doesn't.
Indeed, just setting up a virtual disk would do the trick, but as far as I am aware this still requires a manual copy using the remote to decrypt.

To add to my above message (#31). While we know that the 2000T won't serve HiDef content by DLNA, removing file protections (as the auto-unprotect package does on the HDR-FOX) may enable DLNA streaming by the same protocol as used for StDef programmes. If this is the case the automated decryption method should work. Anyway, until someone can open up the hood and start tinkering, we won't know for sure.

Any particular reason? If it does happen then it can probably make use of many of the existing frameworks and packages on the HDR T2 - many might be able to become universal packages and available on both.

I got the impression you already had a lot to do, eg. not wanting to have to test three releases when trying to drop 1.02.20.

But I agree there's a fair chance a lot of packages could be universal across all boxes including the 2000T if only we had a starting point.

The multiplying test cases worries me, too.

If only Humax didn't break things (or would fix them) we wouldn't need to support multiple releases. 1.02.20 is due to Humax breaking audio descriptiom volumes after that. 1.02.32 is due to Humax slowing down the EPG on the 1.03.xx releases. All Humax's fault, sigh.

Back