Custom install difficulties

Neville Hillyer

This is my first attempt to use custom firmware with my HDR Fox T2.

I may have made a few mistakes (details below) but the unzipped file from HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_2.18.zip appeared to install. I have never been able to get my Humax to use DHCP so I set it to a reserved fixed IP within my router's DHCP range. The router sees it as connected although the connection often gets dropped and I have to play with the Humax to establish it again. All browsers time out attempting to communicate with the Humax at http etc 192.168.0.253

Details:

1 - I use OS X 10.5
2 - I have a Netgear router with DG Team custom firmware
3 - I have my own DNS server at 192.168.0.254 - results identical with Humax DNS set to this or the router
4 - Humax connected via UTP and not wireless - I have not yet tried another long UTP cable
5 - I used a 500 MB stick which my Mac formatted as FAT 16
6 - Everything worked as expected up to the point where the TV screen said to hit the Humax button:

A - It appears that this button may be a restart and not the same as the remote standby so it unexpectedly restarted and invited me to apply again (no visible escape from this) - alas potential double install although it was very fast this time.

B - As a Mac user the screen instruction (which I now see is contrary to instructions on this site which say to pull the stick first) appeared to be the safest route in the absence of a USB unmount option.

C - I have never seen 'CUST 2.12' or similar during boot-up.

D - The Humax software version is now listed as: FHTCP 1.02.20

Any assistance with this would be much appreciated.

What do you mean the Humax software version is "now" listed as 1.02.20 - what was it listed as before? You should not have been using CF 2.18 for 1.02.20 unless 1.02.20 was the version of the Humax firmware currently installed. If you are receiving OTA updates, the latest up date was (I think) 1.02.28.

If you require 1.02.20 (for the lack of enforced retunes), please install it (or re-install it to recover from any weird situation you have got into), and then re-install 2.18 for 1.02.20. Unfortunately 1.02.20 is no long available for download, so we will have to make it available if you want it. Alternatively install 1.02.32 and go from there (CF 2.18 for 1.02.32) - the only down side is needing to run the disable-dso package to prevent enforced retunes, and you will want to run disable-ota anyway.

The UPD can/needs to be removed when the on-screen status changes from "downloading" to "programming", definitely before pressing the front panel button to restart.

Your network connection needs sorting out, it should not be unstable. As long as you can get the TV Portal running you should be OK.

For further information see Things Every... and Custom Firmware (links below).

I had Humax updates enabled but it was at 1.02.20 - are you saying that it had failed to update? If so how could this happen?

I have looked again at wiki . hummy . tv/wiki/Firmware_Upgrade_Path and may have, like a few other posters here, misinterpreted it. I looked for my version in the left column and downloaded the version to the right.

I would be happy with a later version if it was clear how to get there.

I have discovered that enforced retunes result in loss of scheduled recordings and favourites but if there is a fix to prevent these losses I would be happy to have enforced retunes. Standard Humax software is not as clever as DigiHome in this respect.

"Unfortunately 1.02.20 is no long available for download" - but I downloaded it yesterday - please explain.

I see that users are advised to use a fixed IP with Humax - why is this? What is wrong with a reserved LAN IP via DHCP? Is HUMAX DHCP buggy?

If you are starting from the official 1.02.20, download the official 1.02.32 and install it, then download CFW 2.18/1.02.32 and install that. the Custom Firmware will automatically backup your schedule list and favourites list so if they are removed by an OTA you can restore them, There is also a disable_OTA package that will prevent further OTA downloads. DHCP works fine on the Humax, the only disadvantage is that if the Humax's IP address is changed by your router any bookmarked links to your Humax on your P.C. will stop working

I had Humax updates enabled but it was at 1.02.20 - are you saying that it had failed to update? If so how could this happen?
It certainly should have updated automatically unless you took specific measures to prevent it. These are: turning the power off at the back overnight, removing the aerial lead overnight, not having the HiDef channels tuned in, or having a daily reminder/recording scheduled around 0430. The latter is useful for preventing OTA updates if you don't want them, eg with custom firmware installed or if you prefer to stick with an earlier firmware. Details in Things Every... (click) section 1 paragraph 4.

I would be happy with a later version if it was clear how to get there.
If you want to, download and install the latest downloadable standard firmware, currently 1.02.32. Check the remarks about firmware versions in Things Every... (click) section 1.

"Unfortunately 1.02.20 is no long available for download" - but I downloaded it yesterday - please explain.
As mentioned above, I was referring to the Humax standard firmware.

I see that users are advised to use a fixed IP with Humax - why is this? What is wrong with a reserved LAN IP via DHCP? Is HUMAX DHCP buggy?
A fixed DHCP address is what I use too, nothing wrong with that, and there is no need to have a fixed address at all unless you are going to access the Humax from elsewhere on your network (other than by DLNA). The TV Portal and DLNA client/server do not require fixed IP addresses. Manual is useful when using some brands of HomePlug, which don't wake up quickly enough to pass the DHCP negotiation through. Obviously the address will still need reserving at the router. The brands of HomePlug which do wake up in time are probably not asleep in the first place and wasting power.

Thanks to all for the prompt replies.

I have not done anything to inhibit OTA updates.

I will attempt to do as Ezra says and hope my recordings don't get lost. Perhaps Humax DHCP will work after this.

Ezra's instructions worked well albeit I used the official update instructions both times (remove power to insert stick). Interesting that after removing the stick the front standby button starts the OS but immediately goes into standby requiring another press - I used the remote for the second one. I ignored the 'must use FAT 32' instruction and used FAT 16.

I think I now have 32 mod.

Do I need an internet connection to complete the update?

DHCP still fails every time - not too sure what to try except a new cable.

DHCP now working - it was a bad UTP cable - sorry it took so long to test this - it is the only long cable I have - I eventually moved the TV and Humax nearer to the router - I now have the full web interface - will investigate cable repair tomorrow.

Thanks to all who posted here.

It may help others to say clearly that FAT 16 is OK - it is faster and more convenient than temporarily removing everything from larger flash drives.

Pity the Humax screen instruction fails to mention removing the flash drive before proceeding.

Back