• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.0!

This is a major upgrade which changes the look and feel of the forum somewhat but brings a host of improvements too. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and report any issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

Custom Linux kernel

raydon

Does anyone have any experience in building their own custom kernel in the same format as that used in the Humax hdf ? I have been able to build a kernel from Humax sources but the resulting file is an uncompressed ELF binary which is much bigger that the one in the hdf.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
xyz321 has built one in the past that almost worked. I think he was left with one problem relating to the MAC address...

xyz321

I haven't looked at it in a long time but as I remember it just needs gzipping: 'gzip -9c vmlinux > vmlinuz'. I did (and still do) have problems with the MAC address though.

OP
OP
R

raydon

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try. :)

Update: That worked a treat on my Foxsat HDR, thanks once again xyz321 !
I've enabled printk support to get kernel messages. MAC address is OK too.
Here's a snippet from the system log. (I've X'd out the full MAC address)
Code:
Jan  1 00:00:07 (none) user.warn kernel: Broadcom BCM74031 Ethernet Network Device v1.0 Jul 17 2012 17:29:17
Jan  1 00:00:07 (none) user.warn kernel: Getting MAC address...
Jan  1 00:00:07 (none) user.warn kernel: : MAC Address: 00:03:78:XX:XX:XX