Customised Firmware 2.10 (for 1.02.27)

Yes, I don't remember seeing a solution to it. An annoyance more than a real pain because I only did it a couple of weeks ago!

I wonder what prompts it? If the box has noticed that there are services on the multiplexes which are not present in the tuned channels, that's because I have deleted the crap and not because it hasn't been retuned since the last DSO shuffle. The database should have remained intact during the firmware update, so it should know (if such things get recorded) that there has been a retune lately. If it doesn't record such things, then why does it not always ask for retunes when you delete stations? Aarrrggghhhh - don't tell me this is a new bug!

Clean install of .27 and cf 2.10 - no probs to report. :)

Have a new TV coming at the weekend so hopefully that resolves the Humax 'wail of death' on poweroff, my only outstanding issue.
I'm a bit worried as im getting another Philips!

I've given in to temptation and upgraded - no problems with the install at all.

I was just having a quick look around and I thought I'd alter the startup sequence ever so slightly (changing the banner to just "CFW 2.10" in /etc/init/d/S36banner) but I noticed that the /etc directory is mounted read only. Is it possible to change this to rw without breaking anything critical?

Is it possible to change this to rw without breaking anything critical?
No, it's part of a read-only squashfs filesystem.
You could disable it by touching the /mod/boot/nobanner file then create a very similar script under /mod/boot/xinit.d/ to display the banner you want. It would run slightly later in the proceedings but should still be displayed for long enough.

I would prefer that too - in fact I would prefer "CF 2.10"

or just have a text box on the webif so you can change the bootup message to whatever you like?

I'm just messing about with the display command at the moment - it's keeping me amused :frantic:

No, it's part of a read-only squashfs filesystem.

ah, I just noticed that in the mount list.

You could disable it by touching the /mod/boot/nobanner file then create a very similar script under /mod/boot/xinit.d/ to display the banner you want. It would run slightly later in the proceedings but should still be displayed for long enough.

Okay, many thanks - I'll have a look at that next

I thought about quickly showing the utilisation of the hard disk during bootup, eg. off the top of my head...

display `df -k | grep /dev/sda2 | awk '{ print $5 }'`

I have upgraded to 1.02.27 and whilst reading the instructions for the custom firmware, I had not noticed the message about retuning channels with 2 options Now highlighted and the Later option. After what could have been a couple of minutes it proceeded with retuning anyway, regardless of the fact that I had the latest channels following today's DSO. Would af123 insert this as a warning in his instructions on first page? I had deleted some channels which do not interest me.

After what could have been a couple of minutes it proceeded with retuning anyway, regardless of the fact that I had the latest channels following today's DSO.

Oh, that's bad. I often turn my box on without the TV when I want to stream to another room or just use the web interface and I wouldn't see that message.

That's what I've been saying.

It is becoming clearer though - "Later" means it's going to nag you again later and if you don't hit the "Later" again it will do it anyway.

Having said that I have had no trouble since it auto-tuned and then I retuned manually, and there is no retune event apparent in the schedule (either SUI or WebIF).

Oh i have been a complete wally......Read the thread, reread the thread, downloaded the new Humax update and the new custom firmware update ready to reinstall over the previous custom firmware.....Rushed home, got all excited, sidetracked and failed to run diagnostics......now i cant access webif at all and i am stuck with the official firmware update....any ideas?? Do i need to do the telnet thing??? Gutted....

I forgot to run the prepare_for_upgrade thingy. All seems OK, but will something fail?

I forgot to run the prepare_for_upgrade thingy. All seems OK, but will something fail?
You'll be mostly ok but if you use any of redring, undelete, rs or portal-xtra1 then you need to force reinstall them. You can do that through the Diagnostics screen on the webif.

You'll be mostly ok but if you use any of redring, undelete, rs or portal-xtra1 then you need to force reinstall them. You can do that through the Diagnostics screen on the webif.

OK, many thanks, I do use redring and portal-xtra.

Back