Customised firmware is the best upgrade....in the world

korgua

Hi!

Always wondered what the LAN port on my Humax might do....today I decided to find out.

OMG, could not believe what a creative and dedicated bunch of people have managed to achieve.

Humax need to take their hats off to everyone involved in developing the customised firmware and associated treasures.

As a newbie, albeit technically proficient ( just saying as it does help ;-) ) I dived into installing 4.1.3.

What a breeze, you could not have made the process any simpler nor could you have provided any better install documentation.

I simply followed the link below: (link removed as I am a newbie....)

This is a summary of my own experience following the excellent instructions:

Downloaded 4.1.3 package and saved to a 1Gb FAT32 formatted USB.
Put USB drive into Humax and powered on using standby button on unit and booted with same button once upgrade complete.
Humax DHCP picked up a WWW DNS server – changed it to internal DNS server. Not important for every user.
Set static IP address on Humax box (not necessary for everyone but I chose this option)
Added in Firewall rule and static NAT for Humax. Allowed ping to Humax box on outside interface – otherwise package download will not work.
Browsed to IP of Humax in IE and prompted install of full web install.
Cleared web cache in IE and rebooted Humax.
Installed extra packages via web pages of Humax – VLC, TWONKY5, SAMBA.
Downloaded Nowster patch to install patch to stop encrypting HD recordings. Put 1Gb FAT32 formatted USB with Nowster OPK package (link removed as I am a newbie....) into front panel and it autoinstalled.
Tested that HD recordings are now unencrypted.
Purchased TwonkyMedia Server licence key and registered server. Can see this on VLC clients installed on Apple mobile devices and PCs.
Installed Easeus Partition Manager on a Windows PC to format a USB drive as Ext3. Plugged USB drive in Humax and now using this to archive footage.

A really massive thank you to everyone involved in making this upgrade available to anyone and everyone.

The Humax Foxsat HDR was my always one of my favourites but now it is simply the number 1 media server.............in the world.

Thank you.

Hi!

Always wondered what the LAN port on my Humax might do....today I decided to find out.

OMG, could not believe what a creative and dedicated bunch of people have managed to achieve.

Humax need to take their hats off to everyone involved in developing the customised firmware and associated treasures.

As a newbie, albeit technically proficient ( just saying as it does help ;-) ) I dived into installing 4.1.3.

What a breeze, you could not have made the process any simpler nor could you have provided any better install documentation.

I simply followed the link below: (link removed as I am a newbie....)

This is a summary of my own experience following the excellent instructions:

Downloaded 4.1.3 package and saved to a 1Gb FAT32 formatted USB.
Put USB drive into Humax and powered on using standby button on unit and booted with same button once upgrade complete.
Humax DHCP picked up a WWW DNS server – changed it to internal DNS server. Not important for every user.
Set static IP address on Humax box (not necessary for everyone but I chose this option)
Added in Firewall rule and static NAT for Humax. Allowed ping to Humax box on outside interface – otherwise package download will not work.
Browsed to IP of Humax in IE and prompted install of full web install.
Cleared web cache in IE and rebooted Humax.
Installed extra packages via web pages of Humax – VLC, TWONKY5, SAMBA.
Downloaded Nowster patch to install patch to stop encrypting HD recordings. Put 1Gb FAT32 formatted USB with Nowster OPK package (link removed as I am a newbie....) into front panel and it autoinstalled.
Tested that HD recordings are now unencrypted.
Purchased TwonkyMedia Server licence key and registered server. Can see this on VLC clients installed on Apple mobile devices and PCs.
Installed Easeus Partition Manager on a Windows PC to format a USB drive as Ext3. Plugged USB drive in Humax and now using this to archive footage.

A really massive thank you to everyone involved in making this upgrade available to anyone and everyone.

The Humax Foxsat HDR was my always one of my favourites but now it is simply the number 1 media server.............in the world.

Thank you.

No need to use a EXT3 USB drive. You can archive directly to a PC using any supported file system either by ftp or by mapping the Foxsat drive in windows. The NASmount package allows you to replay archived content directly from the NAS over your home network.

Back