Customised firmware

Hi Guys. I've installed servermon as suggested to cure the problem with my router crashing but I still have the same trouble. The problem is that when I try to transfer a file (or files) from the hdr to my laptop using windows explorer after a little while the router crashes and needs to be reset. Sometimes it lasts long enough to get a whole file across but just as often it doesn't.

Can anybody suggest a cause/remedy?

Buy a decent router (or a switch and connect everything to it)!
I've never known routers to crash like this. If your diagnosis is correct, then yours is definitely duff.

As far as I know I have one - netgear rangemax DG834PN. Transfering files using explorer is the only thing which causes a problem as far as I can tell. If I use the webif download option its fine.

What exactly do you mean by "the router crashes" anyway? How are you determining this?

symptoms: windows reports connection with netgear is lost. lights on router freeze. netgear is no longer listed as an available network.

When my old DG824 started doing odd things, it turned out that a lot of the capacitors inside had gone duff - the usual bulging and leaking brown gunge. When I replaced them it started working normally.
Could be that or it could be the power supply, or it could be something else hardware related.
I would discount firmware versions as a cause for this really.

The DG834PN is quite old now, so it might just be time to replace it with something more modern. No idea myself what is considered good these days - I'm still happily using a DG834G V4.

When I input the home page it does not connect to the humax anymore. Has there been a software update? I can't see anything new on the DTG website.
I have turned the hummy off and on and I also reset the router. My other fox T2 box connects just fine.
I use either 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.1.101 both saved in my favourites. One of these always works for me. I think the Humax changes it from time to time, but one of these always works.

Mine changed recently from .103 to .104. Don't know why. I just changed my bookmarks.

I use either 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.1.101 both saved in my favourites. One of these always works for me. I think the Humax changes it from time to time, but one of these always works.
it was only because mongoose had stopped working. what you should do is fix the internal ip address that your router gives your hummy. this is done in your router settings. then your address will not change again.

When my old DG824 started doing odd things, it turned out that a lot of the capacitors inside had gone duff - the usual bulging and leaking brown gunge. When I replaced them it started working normally.
Could be that or it could be the power supply, or it could be something else hardware related.
I would discount firmware versions as a cause for this really.

The DG834PN is quite old now, so it might just be time to replace it with something more modern. No idea myself what is considered good these days - I'm still happily using a DG834G V4.

The reason I'm looking to the laptop and software rather than the router is because everything else I do with it is fine. I've had 4 different laptops on it with 3 different OSs, surfing is fine, I access iplayer on the hdr through it, using webif seems very robust, even downloading to laptop via the webif download function is way more reliable than doing it in file explorer.

Hi Guys. I've installed servermon as suggested to cure the problem with my router crashing but I still have the same trouble. The problem is that when I try to transfer a file (or files) from the hdr to my laptop using windows explorer after a little while the router crashes and needs to be reset. Sometimes it lasts long enough to get a whole file across but just as often it doesn't.

Can anybody suggest a cause/remedy?

Transferring that way is never a good idea, as there is no "resume" on file copying. FTP is safer, at least with FileZilla, because any transfers can be resumed where you left off.

If you copy a folder in Explorer, chances are there will be one file that fails to copy, and then the whole transfer fails.

Hello, chaps,
Could someone kindly direct me to the download link for Foxsat CFW 4.0.9 (or later). Googled everywhere without success. Introducing a new Humax user to the wonders of WebIF/network access etc.?
Thanks.

Back