Customised HDF file for the HD

Drutt

With the exciting work going on over in the HDR forums adding functionality to via the customised HDF files, I was wondering if anyone has had any success yet adding useful functionality to the HD model (in particular being able to media serve / backup / re-compress recorded programs)? If I understand correctly, the main problem is the fact that a file copy does not remove the encoding on this model. Does anyone have any leads on how to get round this? Copying files to the box over the network via ftp / ssh should at least be a useful feature that should work right? I'm looking forward to having a play when I get home next weekend!

Looking at the HDR forum/section it looks like work has been made on a custom HDF for both the HDR and HD models. Although the HD version has been pulled for reasons unknown. Hopefully it'll be back up soon, but do read the thread over in that section - some great stuff going on. FTP, Telnet, SSH, Mediatomb etc! :D

Were working on it at the moment, there are some major file system diferences between the two boxes which we were not aware of initially.

It now seems to be working, and i'm going to do some more testing tonight - please bare with us - hopefully will be ready over the weekend.

I've put the download link back as it seems to be working now. Thanks for testing the update James.

Thanks James, and af123. hopefully get a chance to have a play in the next day or two. I'm hoping that the encryption (that is on all recordings on the HD) can be removed in the same way that has been done for HD recordings on the HDR. I suspect though that the "decrypt while copying" feature of the HDR simply isn't implemented on the HD, rather than it just setting the enc flag on everything.

Steve

Ran into problems getting telnet up and running - posted in af123's thread (page 8) with the log output.

Apologies if this seems late in the day and the 'newbie look' to it but.........

I stumbled upon this initiative after having become increasingly frustrated by the seeming indifference of Humax to release the update to the HD box as they did to the HDR and provide the promised features!

This is great work here, keep it up!!

I got internet access established to the HD Fox T2 ages ago - in anticipation and readiness for the upgrade........but of course to no avail....

I have some experience of using Unix but not to level of competence displayed here. I assimilated all the information before deciding to go ahead and install the mod. I particularly like the package installation directly from the internet which is similar to my experience with Debian and Ubuntu.

Mostly everything looks good and it's great to be able to telnet to the HD and look at the implementation.

I say mostly, because when I was checking that the PVR functionality was intact last night, I noticed that reservations via the EPG for 'one programme only' would go in the 'schedule list' but then would drop out later and it would miss the recording - i.e. not shown in EPG or the schedule list - BUT this did *not* happen when 'record the whole series' was selected - recording made and new schedule entry made. Odd, I don't recollect this happening before, but I will continue monitoring this.

More importantly, I tried a copy of a SD recording using the remote to the 'virtual' USB drive in order stream it. I could not see it in the 'virtual' USB drive, which seemed reasonable if the HD didn't know the file type. But when I viewed it via MediaTomb - using the web interface (very impressive for a first go !!) it didn't show there either. Haven't tried a DNLA client yet.

Is there something else I need to do or a problem with the installation?

Hope someone can shed some light. This all looks very promising....great stuff !

More importantly, I tried a copy of a SD recording using the remote to the 'virtual' USB drive in order stream it. I could not see it in the 'virtual' USB drive, which seemed reasonable if the HD didn't know the file type. But when I viewed it via MediaTomb - using the web interface (very impressive for a first go !!) it didn't show there either. Haven't tried a DNLA client yet.

Is there something else I need to do or a problem with the installation?

Hope someone can shed some light. This all looks very promising....great stuff !

I've not managed to get the Virtual drive working fully either (as a full usb drive that I can copy to), however I'm pretty sure it will won't work as a method of removing the encoding from recordings to allow streaming. At the moment as far as I'm aware, no one has successfully worked out a way of decoding a recording from the HD model. Unlike the the HDR it does not decode when copying to an external drive (I've confirmed this using a USB Hub). Until some progress is made in http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/humax-recording-encryption.245/, or Humax release a firmware that works like the HDR one, we are a bit stuck :( If you just want to stream un-encripted media (copied onto the box from elsewhere) it should be possible just to stream it from the harddrive rather than needing the "virtual" USB drive.

Steve

Steve, thanks very much for the reply and information. A bit disappointing then - and if no progress can be made on the encryption front, a bit of a show-stopper! I suspect Humax will *not* introduce the de-encryption process to the HD - but there again, who knows!! Keep working on how to use the HSM then??!

The only use I could see of copying unencrypted media to the external drive to then stream using the HD, would be say a recording from my old (and still in use) PVR9200T (they're just .ts files I think). Would I use FTP here and is there a risk in messing up Humax's view of the ext3 file system? Bit slow downloading via USB though and once there I have viewed them directly on my laptop or streamed from there......

Is anyone looking at trying to get some sort of 'TV portal' emulation going? Is the challenge here to get the HD to output to the TV???

Back