Customising the Front Panel Display

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone looked into the possibility of customising how the Front Panel Display works, and the information that it shows?

The Channel name display is OK when viewing a live programme, but the scrolling display when playing a recording, leaves a lot to be desired. I would like to do away with the current scrolling truncated programme name and elapsed time, and replace it with either,

"Play 00:00" where the elapsed time is displayed in hours and minutes
"Play -00:00" where the remaining time is displayed in hours and minutes with a leading "-"

I feel that this would be more useful than the current truncated programme name and elapsed time. After all, you should know which programme you are watching so do not need it to be on the display. The current Play symbol is rather small, so it would be nice to see the word "Play" on the display, and I think that it would probably fit together with the time, so there would be no need to scroll, although scrolling would be OK.

It's all part of the humaxtv app which we have not really touched on.
I've tried hexing the file and it works to a point. I got it to show iso files instead of 3gp files, but it was pointless because it can't play them lol

We could do something about it if we worked out how to make calls into the hardware via libnexus. I've already had some success tweaking the LED brightness etc. but haven't spent much time on it.

Maybe it's something that you could put on your list as a possible to do sometime.

My display is nice and bright since I removed the orange filter.

I was wondering whether it was possible to show it was recording when in Standby mode by changing the colour of the ring (e.g. orange to red)? Would remind us that something programmed was recording, without having to peer at the small icon or turn the box on to have a look.

I was wondering whether it was possible to show it was recording when in Standby mode by changing the colour of the ring (e.g. orange to red)? Would remind us that something programmed was recording, without having to peer at the small icon or turn the box on to have a look.
This feature used to exist as standard in an earlier version of software, but it was removed for some reason in a later version.

This feature used to exist as standard in an earlier version of software, but it was removed for some reason in a later version.

Humax say engineers coded the Red for record in standby in error and it was corrected to meet the original specification that called for amber, I agree that it was better as it was, If it aint broke . . .

If it's any help: connecting a LED to the USB port will tell you when the unit is powered up, even in the half-awake state.

I'd really appreciate the ability to turn the 'glowing ring' off.
Is this still something you'd like? If so, please clarify the requirement and I'll look at adding it to redring. (or make a new blackring ? : )

I would still like to be able to do what I said in the 1st post of this thread, if this is any nearer to being possible.:)

Is it something that you would be interested / prepared to have a look at some time?

Some alphanumeric displays support downloadable soft characters. If that is also the case for the Humax display a large play symbol instead of 'Play' might allow for more space for other things.

I see Humax already use the PLAY 12:34 format for playback of MPG's copied to the hard disk and it look like there would be space to display PLAY H:MM:SS in the 12 digit display if required
EDIT
I think Redring would have difficulty updating each second, so it would probably be better to stick to the Humax PLAY HH:MM
keagxe.jpg

That is exactly the sort of thing that I was asking for, and possibly what has been included in the new version of redring.

Edit: I have just installed the latest version of redring (1.01) and now have the "Play 00:00" option displaying the elapsed time.:)

Edit: Would it be possible to have the "Play -00:00" option displaying the remaining time.

Back