Customized hard disk not recognised when upgrading to 3.0.3 custom firmware.

I found this thread after spending 2 days trying to get my newly acquired WD20EURX working in my HDR-Fox T2 without success. Now at least I have a valid reason why every formatting option I could think of ended in failure for me. So thanks dma for posting your problem and for all contributor feedback which has saved me from further hair loss.

I was going to say you may be interested in this <...link...> but I see you've already found it.
Indeed so, thanks. Although a 'new' member here, I do have a reasonable breadth of experience with other fora (including the old hummy.org) such that human fallibility permitting, I try to apply basic forum etiquette and search for the most appropriate topic before opening my trap :)

I was just reading a post about suitable drives for PVR use here. While doing a search on this subject I came across a post in the TIVO forum here. It mentions the WD20EURX A/V drive and the observation that this drive had been shipping with PUIS (power-up in standby) enabled. This is a power management protocol (see the Wikipedia Entry and references therein). This feature should be disabled by default as it is only supported in RAID. In a non-RAID environment, a drive with PUIS enabled might not be recognised by the disk controller or be detected as zero in size. I wonder if this is why there were problems with detecting the WD20EURX with custom firmware version 3.03? Searches suggest that it may be possible to disable PUIS using the DOS program HDAT2 (see here).

That would certainly explain why we see different results with different drives of the same model.

Back