Cut and Paste - Does it use the PC?

jacurrie

I use Cut and Paste to move recordings from the internal Hard Disk to an external drive. I had always assumed that the Web Interface on the PC sent a simple command to the Humax and from that point onwards all processing was done by it.

However I recently shut down the PC and didn't notice that a Cut and Paste operation involving a Folder with several files was still running. When I checked later some files had moved and others were still in the original location. Does this mean that the PC is doing some of the processing?

The PC isn't doing any actual processing, but I don't know whether the scripts running on the Humax interact with the web browser to keep them live. Presumably they do considering your observations.

I would recommend doing that kind of thing using the SUI, once the move has started you can then turn off the TV without any issues.

Thanks, that makes sense. Fortunately nothing was lost and I will do the job direct on the Humax next time.

Cut and paste is dangerous as I found out when something went wrong and the file was cut from origin and not pasted to destination. Copy and paste is better then delete original.'

Until recently I ahd always used Copy and Paste on the Humax directly but I had become lazy and almost paid the price!

So, it's back to Copy again.

Cut and Paste is quick and efficient when operating on the same drive as it effectively just moves the file from one folder to another.
Copy and Paste followed by Delete is slow as it has to physically copy the file which is largely pointless if you are just going to delete the other one afterwards.
Cut and Paste between drives is obviously going to need a physical copy so it is better to use Copy/Paste/Delete.

^^Wot he says. Cut/Paste from webif worries me as I feel a glitch between those two actions could lose the file altogether. So I always use Move on the box/TV itself. Only takes a second - presumably it just changes the file pointers - so you don't need to leave it running with the TV off.

Would it be possible to add a 'Move' command to webif?

The WebIF Cut & Paste is move. The "cut" action adds the file names to an action queue, which then actions a "move" when you select "paste to current location" (as long as the destination is on the same drive/partition as the source).

^^Wot he says. Cut/Paste from webif worries me as I feel a glitch between those two actions could lose the file altogether.
That should never happen. The file isn't really cut it's just added to a list and when you paste it just calls the standard 'mv' utility which will adjust the filesystem entry if the move is within the same filesystem or perform a copy/delete otherwise. If the copy doesn't succeed then the delete won't occur so it is a safe operation.

That should never happen. The file isn't really cut it's just added to a list and when you paste it just calls the standard 'mv' utility which will adjust the filesystem entry if the move is within the same filesystem or perform a copy/delete otherwise. If the copy doesn't succeed then the delete won't occur so it is a safe operation.

OK. That's reassuring.
Any reason for implementing it as separate Cut and Paste actions rather than Move? It's just that once you've hit Cut if you change your mind you're in a bit of a no man's land. (Though I suppose with Move you might be too if there wasn't a Cancel option in there.)

If you change your mind you can empty the queue ("Empty clipboard" button).

The reason it is implemented as it is, is so that you can collect up the files you want and then navigate to the destination without having to specify it explicitly as a parameter for the move operation. The same modus operandum works for copy and paste too.

I've been using cut and paste via the webif for ages and never once had a problem. It is easy to cancel if you change your mind, you can multiply select items and you don't have to disturb anyone's viewing whilst doing your housekeeping. I use it for pretty much all films I record (to triage them into various folders) before watching - I hate having things hanging around in the top folder. Also for any one-offs that missed a series record and so need to be moved to the right folder.

Ha. Well said. That is exactly how I use it. We must have the same level of OCD!

Likewise, never had an issue with it.

Andy & Wallace

That's what I had been doing too. The only difference was that the destination was on the USB Drive. Having read all the comments I think the approach will now be to use Copy, Paste, Delete when the USB Drive is involved.

Like both of you I like to keep the files ordered although I think I might have CDO which is like OCD but in a neat alphabetical order! ;)

Back