Database Error 5/10/2015

I don't know if this is connected, but not 2 minutes ago I was reading a thread and the site just appeared to lock up. Other tabs were OK. So I quit out of Chome completely and tried to load Hummy.tv, but nothing. Site was down. I also tried Microsoft Edge with the same result.

Belt-and-braces, I went over to the 'down for everyone or just me' site, and that confirmed the site was down.

Is there an underlying problem?

It's obviously OK now.

Hey, I've not noticed any issues, maybe just a network glitch? Seems ok at the moment, traffic has remained at it's normal levels..

I've just realised this thread was started around 20 days ago, maybe it was when I was doing the upgrade?

Michael

I don't see how a network glitch could produce this error, as I suspect the message originated from the Xenforo forum software on the server. However, if you were messing about with it at the time, that could explain it. Isn't it usual to take the forum off-line before fiddling?

Depends exactly what the 'database error' was - as the DB is hosted on a different server, a network glitch could in theory cause a 'database error' to occur. Or perhaps the DB server itself was down for whatever reason, that would cause an error on this website because it wouldn't be able to connect to it.

And yes, I always take the forum offline when I'm updating it, but a DB error could still occur as the forum software would need to contact the database in order to ascertain if it should be on or offline. Either way, it clearly only lasted a short while.

Michael

Site access was extremely slow, or completely unreachable, for best part of this morning. Noticed the same thing yesterday morning. Anyone else having similar issues ?

Site access was extremely slow, or completely unreachable, for best part of this morning. Noticed the same thing yesterday morning. Anyone else having similar issues ?
Yes (for this morning; don't know about yesterday). It was ping-able but the web server appeared dead.

Died on me again tonight between 11:30 PM 00:10 AM.:(
Can admins throw any light on what's happening ?

For me, the site has been up and down for the last few days. I think Michael must be 'otherwise engaged'.

Google Analytics doesn't suggest we've had any major issues. Can someone give me exact dates and times and I can ask the hosting provider to see if there was any maintenance going on at those times or if they can spot anything unusual.

Thanks,

Michael

With the exception of Wallace, others complaining are all on BT Broadband. I'm going to setup pingdom.com and see if it notices any downtime and at least this way it'll give me some stats with dates and times I can use to try and pinpoint any issues.

Thanks,

Michael

With the exception of Wallace, others complaining are all on BT Broadband. I'm going to setup pingdom.com and see if it notices any downtime and at least this way it'll give me some stats with dates and times I can use to try and pinpoint any issues.
I'm not on BT Broadband. As I said up-thread, the address was Ping-able but the web server was not responding. This is not a routing problem as you were possibly trying to imply. It's a hosting/server problem.

Back