Dead Disk - Replacement options

Gary : There is nothing to suggest that the hard disk would benefit from re-fornatting, try enabling DLNA and disconnecting the Humax from the LAN (ethernet cable / Wifi)

BTW there has never been a problem with over heating of your Humax, the warning is telling you that it has got hot enough to turn the fan on - this is normal

.. .
Another update then. The fix-disk has finished fine.

When I disabled DNLA the box seemed stable, but once I rebuilt the DB an re-enabled it the crashes started again.

Could this mean that I need to format the disk?
It likely means that there is a media file on the disk that isn't entirely satisfactory according to the DLNA indexer. A temperamental thing, it considers that crashing the settop box process is the best way to resolve such a situation: thanks a lot.

In this case you can try disabling DLNA, then moving your "content" to a directory that doesn't get indexed, then re-enabling. If that stops the crashes, gradually move the content back, disabling and enabling DLNA around each move, until you start seeing crashes; then gradually (but in half-size chunks) reverse the last move until the box is stable, then, halving the chunk size again, move the last set of content back to the indexed directories, and so on , until you have one or a small number of suspect files. If any of these files are playable and still wanted, move them to an external device so that they don't get indexed.

If you have any reasonable amount of media files on the box, you'll need to use WebIf>Browse Files or a command-line to create and access a non-indexed directory (say /mnt/hd2/safe) on the same disk so that this only takes a small age instead of actual aeons.

Another update then. The fix-disk has finished fine.
Good.
When I disabled DNLA the box seemed stable, but once I rebuilt the DB an re-enabled it the crashes started again.
You need to install the DLNA_filter package for the custom firmware.
Could this mean that I need to format the disk?
Please believe us, there is nothing wrong with disk or the formatting.

You need to install the DLNA_filter package for the custom firmware.
That would be an easy fix if the crashes started after OP configured another DLNA server on the local network. But it's probably easier for OP to try it than to post more details of the onset of crashes.

Here's a (final) update then. I copied all the content off and then formatted the disk, copied the content back, re-enabled DNLA and all fine - so as mentioned above must have been some file corruption the DNLA didn't like and maybe I went around it the long way but all sorted now

Back