Dead Handset

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Not much of a mystery (why it's dead):

More of a mystery why the battery has leaked before 2023, and why the handset was still working yesterday.

Not much of a mystery (why it's dead):

View attachment 4182

More of a mystery why the battery has leaked before 2023, and why the handset was still working yesterday.
Usually they just fade quietly but they can go out with a 'pop'. I think a build-up of gas causes the shell to explode and then they just leak out. I heard it happen once and found the leaking battery soon after.

Given the age I'd think that's a faulty cell. You might be able to get a refund - you do still have the receipt of course ...

I think a build-up of gas causes the shell to explode and then they just leak out.
Maybe the warm weather or being left in the sun might have helped.

It's annoying that batteries generally keep working even after they start leaking.

Glad it wasn’t fitted in your pacemaker!

I’ve never had a Duracell battery fail like that, unlucky.

being left in the sun
Warm maybe, left in the sun - no.

I have no particular reason to suspect counterfeit, here's its partner:

...which still registers as "good" on my battery tester. Perhaps I won't throw it out after all!

I wouldn't be too worried if you don't find any 'raised' serial nunbers on your batteries, I have checked every Duracell battery in the house and haven't found a single number on any of them, including one in a radio controlled clock that is still running and leak free after 8 years

I purchased some Duracell AA batteries from Amazon and had a large amount of failures in remotes (of the leaking kind) and now avoid Duracell as a brand as they are the main target for counterfeiters...

Back