Dead WiFi Dongle

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
:cry_:

My Edimax EW-7711UAn seems to have died! Anybody else experienced a WiFi dongle kicking the bucket? I guess they must do from time to time, but my immediate thought is "why me????"!

1656238183114.png
(stock image)

How am I sure it's dead? Well, with another RT3070 dongle plugged in, my Linux system offers to connect to my WiFi network. With the "dead" one plugged into the same USB port, it just complains there are no network connections. Pretty conclusive, I would say, and so far as I can make out it's not even being picked up as a USB device.

I'm asking myself whether to replace it like-for-like. Listed on Amazon for £35, discontinued at RS, Farnell seem to have them for £17... but I guess as the chipset doesn't seem to be specified anywhere it could turn out to be a pig in a poke for HDR-FOX use. Caveat emptor.

I have an Edimax with lettering below the barcode: EW7711USN32CE01190, unused for a good few years now. [I have used it with an HDR but switched long ago to using TP-Link repeaters that have an ethernet socket.]

You're welcome to it - I'm told I need to clear out some unused stuff. One small step as they say.
I you'd like it please let me know what happens next.

I too have a couple of these that were used on FOXs but have been redundant since hard-wiring the Ethernet.
As people will occasionally need these would one of the forum 'bigwigs', like BH et al, like to hold them as stock?

please let me know what happens next.
I'll put this out in public so that people know the form in general:

Royal Mail has introduced an on-line system for paying for postage, where you can download a postal label to apply to the outside of a package on receipt of the payment. The label includes the destination address, optionally the sender's address, and authentication in the form of a unique bar code (actually a QR code). For items I have agreed to take off somebody's hands, I will forward the paid-for postal label in electronic form, then all they have to do is print it out and stick it on the package, then take the package to a convenient post office (or even just a pillar box, depending on size).

The information I need from the sender (to prepare the label) is: weight of the overall package; confirmation that it does not exceed the Royal Mail size limits; and the sender's name and address (required to complete the on-line order).

Weight limits depend on the exact service, but ordinary 2nd class small parcel is up to 2kg all within the same price, and the medium parcel category has a price break at 10kg.

1656246754089.png

With regard to WiFi dongles, a jiffy bag will get it into the Large Letter category on thickness. The Edimax EW-7711UAn weighs 13g (as measured with electronic kitchen scales).

Thanks for the offer but I'm happy to pay the postage.
Just PM me your address again. (I think I sent you an SSD a few years back, but no idea where or if I kept your info.)

I'm also very happy to pay the postage - I'd expected to do so when I made the offer.

Please PM me the address to send it to (although if you'd prefer not to I will provide details for the label).

I bought one of these for 3.90 GBP delivered, works a a treat.

Attachments

• IMG_20220627_153236_4.resized.jpg
    IMG_20220627_153236_4.resized.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 38
Back