Decryption problem

MarkTb1961

I just started using CF (2.20) and I've let it de-crypt my existing recordings. Most recordings are now marked "Dec" as expected.

Some files won't de-crypt, even after reseting auto-unprotect a couple of times - the Enc flag remains stubbornly in place. These files seem to be on the external (USB) drives. I did have them linked into the main HDD though and this seems to have made no difference. Also, during the decryption, the Humax would crash every now and again when it encountered one of these files. Some other files on the same drives have de-crpyted ok.

Curiously, some files have both the "Enc" and "Dec" flags set. Odd.

Don't know if it's related but does the copy-protection matter ? On the Humax these files are often showing as copied to their limit (the crossed out CDROM icon). I have come across anything yet in the CF documentation that mentions on this Humax feature is handled.

All suggestions welcome.

Mark

How did you get the files onto the external drive?
If you copied SD files using the Humax copy they will already be decrypted, it's part of the humax copy base function.

If you unset the encrypt flag on HD files before copying they will be decrypted also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks... to unset the encrypt flag on HD files stored on USB drives, do I need to move them back to the HDD drive ?

I believe so, but I'm sure an expert will respond shortly to verify this.

To remove the enc flag you need either "auto-unprotect" on the Humax (custom firmware/web-if routine) or you will have to use Foxy on a PC to amend the .hmt file.

auto-unprotect (or any other of the auto functions) does not act on anything outside the normal "Media" folder on the internal HDD. Please note that "Enc" does not mean "encrypted", it means the file is protected from being decrypted. "Dec" means the file is decrypted (or at least not marked as encrypted). It is conceivable that a Dec file could also be Enc, but only by a very round-about process.

It is vital that the flags are properly set to represent the true state of the .ts. The Enc flag itself only affects the ability to decrypt a (usually HiDef) recording by manually copying it to a USB drive, decryption by WebIF relies on a separate property held in the DLNA index database (also cleared by auto-unprotect, but not by Foxy). The state of the Dec flag affects the ability of the Humax to play a recording - it will come up as "scrambled" if Dec is set but the file is still encrypted (or vice-versa).

The flags can be altered at will using the command line hmt command.

Agreed, I was basically telling him what he needed to do before copying the file to attached HDD.
As I understand it, that merely needs the "enc" flag clearing.
The copy to the HDD will then decrypt it.

Agreed?

Good point I hadn't registered that properly.
I don't personally transfer files to USB attached devices normally (I use network transfers) so can't add any more value on enc/dec issue.

Just to say, thanks for this. I would have posted sooner but was caught out by the recent DNS problem.
As suggested by the advice - I just needed to copy the encrypted recordings onto the main drive, wait for the Enc flags to disappear and then copy them back to the USB drive.

Back