• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • The forum software that supports hummy.tv has been upgraded to XenForo 2.0!

    This is a major upgrade which changes the look and feel of the forum somewhat but brings a host of improvements too. Please bear with us as we continue to tweak things and report any issues or suggestions in Site/Forum Issues.

Decryting Failed - Recording No Longer Viable

#1
Over the weekend I recorded one of the BBC HD Six Nations matches, and after it had finished I set it to Decrypt

The Decryption reached part of the way through and then jumped to 100% and appeared to finish

It created a file that was marked as Decrypted, and placed a copy in to an 'Original' folder

The problem is that the file that is marked as Decrypted is not decrypted, and the Original is not a complete file, so now I have lost the whole recording as the Hummy will not fully play either of the files

I normally use MediaInfo to find the properties of the recording, and an encrypted file normally just shows BDAV (No PAT/PMT) with no codec information because it is encrypted

The recording which Webif says is decrypted shows it as BDAV (No PAT/PMT) with no codec information, but the 'Original' recording shows the full codec information suggesting it is decrypted, but it only plays 11 minutes of the 2 1/2 hour recording (the file is reported as 10.4GB)

Have I lost the complete recording, or is there anyway of re-decrypting the one which says it's decrypted, even though it's not

Please, please help

Next time, I will make a copy of the recording before decrypting, but I shouldn't have to do this
 

Ezra Pound

Well-Known Member
#2
This problem seems to have some similarities with a user trying to edit a file using nicesplice Quote :- “ it reaches 29% and then jumps straight to 100%” in his case the long sports program (about 5GB) seemed to only have two frames instead of a new frame every 0.5MB, I’m wondering if the decrypt program works on ‘frames’ that it expects to be no more than 600KB the same as nicesplice.

I realise this doesn’t fix your problem (The best person to speak to is probably Drutt) but it may stop it happening again if it is due to very large frame sizes as I think Drutt is working on that
 
OP
OP
N
#3
Thanks Ezra for your reply

It was me who had the problem with niceplice as well, so it does seem to be something to do with the size of the file that may be causing the problem

Next time, I won't record the whole program, I'll start it just before kick off and stop it as soon as the game stops, that should drop it down to about 1 hr 40mins instead of 2hrs 30mins
 

af123

Administrator
Staff member
#4
Sorry to hear that. The process is supposed to be safe and doesn't touch any of the original files until the decryption is complete, then it just renames the original files into the _original directory.

Looking at the code, it could have a problem if the decryption process was kicked off twice for some reason and I will improve that.

Have I lost the complete recording, or is there anyway of re-decrypting the one which says it's decrypted, even though it's not
Yes, hopefully you can flag the recording as encrypted again and the Humax will then play it. You'll have to do it from the command line though. I don't know how familiar you are with the command line so here are the basic instructions - shout if you need more.

Telnet in and get to the humax# prompt. Navigate to the directory containing the file that doesn't appear to be encrypted, something like

humax# cd "/media/My Video/folder/_original"

then try flagging the file as encrypted:

humax# hmt +encrypted *.hmt
 

Ezra Pound

Well-Known Member
#5
Next time, I won't record the whole program, I'll start it just before kick off and stop it as soon as the game stops, that should drop it down to about 1 hr 40mins instead of 2hrs 30mins
If it's the same problem as the nicsplice one, The size of the file isn't the problem. The file is made up of smaller 'chunks' called frames, Drutt said he hade never seen a frame larger than 600KB so he made the frame buffer 750MB, But for some reason your recordings don't have lots of small frames they had fewer very large frames whick exceed the frame buffer by a long way (thousands of times bigger), So I thought drutt was going to handle that some way
 
OP
OP
N
#6
After following af123's advice, I've run the telnet commands which alowed me to decrypt again

Once again it reached about 93% (was going up 1% every 30 sec or so), and then jumped to 100%

It has made the 'original' folder and put a copy in the folder, and the recording I tried to decrypt has not decrypted even though the 'Dec' is there

af123, is there a manual way to decrypt the recording through telnet

When I get home from work tomorrow, I try copying it to the 'virtual drive' to see if it decrypts while it copies
 
OP
OP
N
#7
Right I've copied it to the 'virtual drive', hoping it would decrypt in the process, but no it hasn't, even though it says that it is decrypted

When trying to play any of the "decrypted" or original recordings I get the following message on the TV:-



So I cannot play any of those recordings on any device, TV or PC

It looks like the recording is damaged beyond repair, unless anybody can come up with something else for me to try
 
#8
I have seen the same behavior myself when Decrypting via Webif. I knew something was wrong as it jumped to completed after reaching a fairly low percentage.
I always managed to complete the decrypt by selecting it again via Webif. It usually restarted again and sometimes it required three or four attempts before it finally completed. I knew when it was done, as Decrypt was shaded out.
It may be worth trying that if you can restore the original.

I don't have nicesplice installed, so cannot make a comparison with that.