'Deep Ping' for Hummy?

I have two Hummies that are on 24/7, with a 10 minute power cycle at around 5am using the Hummys own power off/power on timers. This works pretty well for most of the time but there are some gotchas I have observed without having external power cycling available: -

The hummy can power up in standby mode, so the RS will report it hasn't seen the hummy after a while. You can't guarantee it, but by looking at the 'last seen' time it is possible to guess that this may be the case. Fix would be to have an RPi or similar that could be commanded to send a power on command using an IR transmitter if it cannot ping the hummy.

The hummy can go into standby after completing a recording. Fix is as above assuming pings fail.

The hummy can have a seizure which will result in the RS reporting it hasn't seen the hummy for a period. This does require a power cycle - but may result in the hummy coming up in standby.

If the Linux software crashes for whatever reason the hummy internal power off/power on functionality doesn't work, so a power cycle is required.

If one wants to do a 'belt and braces' detection I guess the order of process is as follows: -
Ping on a regular basis, if this fails try IR power on and wait a while before issuing another ping, if that fails power cycle.
If ping works look to see if port 80 is open on hummy. If this fails then power cycle.
If port 80 open then try and do a directory search using DLNA (I'm assuming this is an integral part of the hummy software). If this fails then the hummy special software has failed so power cycle. Does the RPi have the ability to attach a media source to do this?

I'm inclined to get the power strip you mentioned and a RPi set up like you have. I wouldn't mind a copy of the scripts please, perhaps you could attach them here as a zip, so anyone interested could grab them at any time in the future?

The hummy can power up in standby mode, so the RS will report it hasn't seen the hummy after a while. You can't guarantee it, but by looking at the 'last seen' time it is possible to guess that this may be the case. Fix would be to have an RPi or similar that could be commanded to send a power on command using an IR transmitter if it cannot ping the hummy.

The hummy can go into standby after completing a recording. Fix is as above assuming pings fail.

The hummy can have a seizure which will result in the RS reporting it hasn't seen the hummy for a period. This does require a power cycle - but may result in the hummy coming up in standby.

Sorry to be so dumb - what's the RS?

I'm inclined to get the power strip you mentioned and a RPi set up like you have. I wouldn't mind a copy of the scripts please, perhaps you could attach them here as a zip, so anyone interested could grab them at any time in the future?

No problem. The scripts are very simple - I'll just need to clean them up for external consumption - wouldn't want anyone to know how tacky & undisciplined my code is!

Back