Default ip?

matbl

If there is no dhcp-server available, what ip is used on the fox t2's as default? Or doesn't it get any at all?

Whatever your router allocates to it. While most home networks use IPs in the range 192.168.0.n, this is not universal. Best to allocate an IP manually to the Humax, or reserve a specific IP lease for it on the router.

You can go into the set-up screen and allocate an IP address manually, but that can lead to problems if other devices on your network are allocated dynamically. However, if you say you don't have a DHCP server available I presume you are allocating IP addresses the old-fashioned way and have a note of them all - in which case there should be no problem setting up a static IP address which does not conflict.

I used DHCP to allocate addresses to all my devices (all switched on at the same time) and then logged into the router and made them permanently allocated - so every time a device is booted it requests an IP address but always gets allocated the same one.

Thanks for the answers. I realize my question was a bit on the newbie side as I wrote it my that wasn't my intention. Sorry if I was a bit short on background or additional description.
But my question is still: If there is no DHCP server available and a static ip is not set, what ip, if any, will the fox t2's default to?

Background:
I know a lot about ip networks, so please, no more pointers to how to use dhcp etc.
I have a swedish variant of the hdr-fox t2 called bxr-hd+. It's the same hardware and almost the same software. But this variant doesn't do any networking out of the box. There is no dhcp requests and no static ip settings menu. But the network interface is up and running as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

No idea - I am surprised it works at all without a manual setting or a DHCP setting.

Don't be offended by unwanted detail, it all helps somebody.

No idea - I am surprised it works at all without a manual setting or a DHCP setting.

Don't be offended by unwanted detail, it all helps somebody.
If there is a built-in manual setting or something like that, it would be able to work if you just could figure out the ip.

I wasn't offended in any way, just wanted to clarify what I was asking for. :)

If there is no dhcp-server available, what ip is used on the fox t2's as default? Or doesn't it get any at all?

Not a daft question, the HDR-Fox T2 at least does default to a specific address which is

The third octet varies depending on which interface. IIRC wireless gets .101

On this model you can copy the databases to USB using the hidden settings menu - the default IP addresses are in the settings database.

Code:
NetRange:       192.0.2.0 - 192.0.2.255
CIDR:           192.0.2.0/24
OriginAS:
NetName:        TEST-NET-1
NetHandle:      NET-192-0-2-0-1
Parent:         NET-192-0-0-0-0
NetType:        IANA Special Use
Comment:        This block is reserved for use in documentation.
Comment:        It was assigned in the Informational document,
Comment:        RFC 1166, which was updated by the Informational

Thanks!
192.0.2.x wasn't exactly the first net that I would have tried... Bad bad humax to use the documentation net as default... ;)

And thanks for the idea about the databases. I can do the same on my box... :)

It might just as well not "work" - nothing else will talk to it because it will be on the wrong sub-net. I'm guessing the "unconfigured" state is for factory testing.

It's just a matter of configuring something on the same subnet.
And if it's for factory testing or service or something, that means there's a way in... ;)

Not necessarily, you could production-test the Ethernet by pinging it without there being a login behind it.

Subnet - yes, I agree, but in general it's of no use to default to 192.0.x.x, and it is as well that it doesn't default to anything that might be in use on the network. That you can configure any subnet you like makes you a "test environment".

The third octet varies depending on which interface. IIRC wireless gets .101
Do you mean the fourth octet, or does one discount the initial "192" for some reason?

On this model you can copy the databases to USB using the hidden settings menu - the default IP addresses are in the settings database.

Code:
NetRange:      192.0.2.0 - 192.0.2.255
CIDR:          192.0.2.0/24
OriginAS:
NetName:        TEST-NET-1
NetHandle:      NET-192-0-2-0-1
Parent:        NET-192-0-0-0-0
NetType:        IANA Special Use
Comment:        This block is reserved for use in documentation.
Comment:        It was assigned in the Informational document,
Comment:        RFC 1166, which was updated by the Informational
How did you work out 192.0.2.100 from that dump?

Do you mean the fourth octet, or does one discount the initial "192" for some reason?

Yes, fourth; I'd usually write 'last octet', I wonder why I didn't?

I wrote a Jim script to extract the data from the database - it's packed in there. Happy to post it later if it's of any use.

No network settings in my database. Can you dump either the entire settings database or the IP-related rows?

Not a daft question, the HDR-Fox T2 at least does default to a specific address which is 192.0.2.100
My box defaults to 0.0.0.0 but if you then go into the network menu with it set to DHCP and click apply it then uses an RFC 3927 link-local address (169.254.X.X).

Edit: To clarify, in manual mode it uses the 192.0.2.100 address. In DHCP mode it can use the 169.254.X.X address if no DHCP server is available.

Back