Delayed decrypt

prpr

Can anyone suggest how I might set up only marking things for decryption that are more than a certain age since recording?
e.g. a lot of stuff is watched and deleted in a fairly timely manner, but for stuff that isn't, I want it decrypted automatically.
I want to avoid decrypting everything (what I used to do), but also want to avoid decrypting nothing (what I now do).
Sometimes I want to take recordings elsewhere and forget I haven't decrypted them, which causes hassle.

Sweeper will do the trick.

test for age greater than xx and not flagged as decrypted , action queue for decryption

What's the problem with decrypting everything? (serious question)
1. Makes the box sluggish and prone to recording glitches unless you restrict the processing hours
2. Makes the box more crash prone (complaints from my remote one are much less frequent since I turned off recursive auto-decrypt)
3. Uses up disk space (and I'm short to routinely do it)
4. It's pointless decrypting something when it's going to be deleted the same/next day
Sweeper will do the trick.
Thanks. I thought it might, but haven't investigated. Will check it out.

1. & 2. I have not had these symptoms, which is why I asked. I decrypt everything and use detectads in chaseget.
3. Not relevant for me. I have oodles.
4. Possibly agree, but also you could argue that there is no point in not doing it.

1. & 2. I have not had these symptoms, which is why I asked.
Several people have reported it over the years. It's the reason the settings were built in to the WebIf Auto processing to restrict the hours it operates.
4. Possibly agree, but also you could argue that there is no point in not doing it.
But there is. See points 1-3.

I feel a doom loop coming on, but will resist.
But I think Post #2 has it squared away, doesn't it?

But I think Post #2 has it squared away, doesn't it?
It does indeed. But it raises further questions about Sweeper's operation!
For reference, this is the text version of the rule:
recurse 1 age {> 168} flag ODEncrypted action {queue decrypt}​

Last edited:
4. It's pointless decrypting something when it's going to be deleted the same/next day

This is part of the reason why I have mine on delayed processing. Stuff like BBC News doesn't even get the bookmarks processing done before it is watched and deleted. Anything else gets delayed processing in the deep dark hours of the night or in the morning when nothing else is generally happening.

Back