Delete empty folder package ?

Why would 'normal' users use that?
Why would 'normal' users want the CF at all? It's all about enhanced capability.

Case study:

I want to play radio recordings in the car. To do that the 'Fox's .ts radio stream recordings have to be converted to MP3. I have a [MP3] folder with mp3 conversion applied as a persistent auto-property, so any .ts that gets dumped into it will have an .mp3 conversion made automatically like a "magic folder". From there I can copy the resulting .mp3 to a UPD for use in the car at my leisure.

When I set up the radio recording in the first place, as long as it is series and not a one-off, I go into the schedule properties and alter its target folder to [MP3] - so it records directly into the magic folder. I could equally well set up a sweeper rule set that moved all radio recordings to [MP3] automatically - I just haven't got around to it. Sweeper could also be used to solve the problem of there being no target folder for one-off recordings. It may even be possible to program sweeper to apply MP3 conversion to radio recording series folders.

If I really thought about it, I might even be able to copy the resulting .mp3 to a UPD automatically - just grab and go.

Somebody else might be wanting to do a similar thing with video recordings - to entertain the kids on car journeys, for example, but their in-car video playback doesn't play .ts (maybe) and they need automatic .mpg conversion.

Because AR doesn't work on radio, I have to use multimode to set padding for radio services (otherwise the ends of programmes are typically cut off). Also, my car player can't hack the pseudo-MP3 (MP2) audio files that direct (quick) extraction from the TS stream produces, so I have "proper" MP3 conversion (slow!) configured in WebIF settings - which rips the MP2 from the .ts and then passes it through ffmpeg to convert to real MP3. All without me lifting a finger (or, more importantly, remembering to do it manually, post-recording).

The point is, that to set up all this automation requires the creation of (initially) empty folders, and you don't want tidy-folders getting in the way while you do it. I originally thought that tidy-folders wouldn't "see" the .flag files as content, but even though it does there will still be a period when the folder has been created but does not contain any flags. The problem is eliminated by using [-prefix folders (assuming tidy-folders ignores them).

Last edited:
I think I'll have a look at flatview, but I was put off originally because it lists all the recorded programmes which I thought would be 'too much to handle'. But I'll give it a go. I can always remove it if it doesn't 'do it' for me.
Thanks for your help.

Just checked out flatview wiki. It says:
Code:
Exceptions
[*]The contents of folders marked as no flatten using the OPT+ option will not appear in [Flatview]
[*]The contents of folders with names in square brackets [Like This] will not appear in [Flatview]
[*]The contents of folders containing a file named .noflatten will not appear in [Flatview]
I can't see the 'no flatten' in Opt+ menu on folders. OK, I can put folder name into [] but shouldn't the option be in Opt+? Or the wiki changed? Or me get new glasses?

The most secure process would be to disable tidy-folders, pre-create the target folder, set up the auto-operations, re-enable tidy-folders.
There isn't any way to disable it, short of editing the crontabs file or uninstalling the package. The easiest way is to create the folder with a leading '_' or '[' character, set-up the auto operations and then rename the folder to remove the leading character.
prpr - does tidy-folders disregard [ folders?
Yes!

But I'll give it a go. I can always remove it if it doesn't 'do it' for me.
It didn't 'do it for me'. Too much information. If I just uninstall it, will it tidy up behind itself and remove the flatview folder without removing the recordings? I don't want to risk the 'Why don't you just try it' approach. The WiKi doesn't tell either.

It didn't 'do it for me'. Too much information. If I just uninstall it, will it tidy up behind itself and remove the flatview folder without removing the recordings? I don't want to risk the 'Why don't you just try it' approach. The WiKi doesn't tell either.
Did you change the settings? You can choose whether it includes just unwatched recordings and how far back to look.
Yes, if you uninstall it, it should clean up by removing the folder - the recordings aren't really in there so they won't be harmed in the process.

Thanks for that af. Perhaps I should give the settings a good stiff looking at before making the rash decision to uninstall.
What I was afraid of was that the info on flatview says words to the effect of if you delete from the flatview folder, it will also delete from the original real folder.

What I was afraid of was that the info on flatview says words to the effect of if you delete from the flatview folder, it will also delete from the original real folder.
That's true - if you delete something from there yourself via the TV interface or otherwise it propagates and removes the recording from the real location too. That matches most users' expectations and workflow.

Yes, I can understand the logic behind that with simlinks and all that stuff, but was just a bit suspicious of what happens if the flatview directory was removed in toto.

Back