Demonstration of "BBC iPlayer for TV" e.g. the iPlayer contained on 1.03.xx version

Tell

OK after previous looking for a demonstration of the new iPlayer so people know what it looks like and does before loading up 1.03.xx [where xx = 6 or 11 at the present] here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/08/bbc_iplayer_connected_tv.html

It's the BBC's launch video in 2011 when they started shipping it to playstations. The guy who's in charge of the development gives a demonstration and explanation, just click the normal |> in the video box.

I've put it in the custom side of the forum since I suspect it's more custom than regular for HDR owners and BootHDR for HD owners.

Has nobody informed the BBC that flash was deprecated 18 months ago because of security issues that cannot be fixed?
Why are they still developing with it?

Because it is common place on PCs and would require an entire rebuild. These things dont just happen overnight.

It took that long to implement it on the HDR but they still haven't released it as replacement updated iPlayer as a bonified update. I pass on whether the TV one is using flash but is there an issue of an infected player on a TV box causing havoc across a network. Is it not where they are carrying adverts in PC implementations that issues arise, so you wouldn't get a wayward app on a TV box... But I'm sure someone will post a link.

The humax version is not using flash. And it's only the fact that the new opera browser has better performance that it loads the newer version.

Does that mean the code could be used on the old browser in 1.02.xx but just slower ?. Possibly not. This is a retake on the question asked of af123 on porting the browser to 1.02.xx.

Actually I posted the link up so people could see what they were missing on the iPlayer by still using 1.02.xx rather than upgrading to 1.03.xx which hasn't actually been released to all but shipped to some.

No, the script that determines the version that is displayed is part of the iplayer website..It checks your browser name (user agent) and loads the appropriate version. Otherwise the bbc would need to maintain countless versions which wouldnt be very sensible.

Isn't there a conundrum now that when the BBC say they don't support the Humax Fox HD in relation to the iPlayer radio they must do if they wrote the code or agents of them did. I'm wonder now whether I got fobbed off when I reported the iplayer radio not working on 1.02.xx. The inference is it isn't their code or they ceased to support the old version of the iplayer. That's a possibility but they didn't make it clear ?. Hence the onus on Humax to ship an update that works and is supported.?

Its probably a case of the bbc making a change that has had a knock-on to the old version of iPlayer. But because the users of the new version of iPlayer will probably massively outweigh the users using the old version, someone will have made the decision that it doesnt make economical sense to spend more money fixing a problem that will resolve itself once people update to the newer version of iPlayer through either firmware updates to their current equipment (like us), or when they buy new hardware such as TVs with it "built in" as standard.

To be honest, the bbc will say its not supported to buy themselves extra time. And if one of their developers manages to get around to looking at it and does fix it, they will announce quietly that its available again.

My guess says it's a tweak to the codec or the wrapper, it just needs a tweak to the client to stop it bombing out.

Yep, its probably just a logic clause that serves the appropriate version of the requested radio stream file is borked so is serving the wrong version which in turn bombs out iplayer..

Back