Detect ads -- is there cli access

I have tested the feature for cropping while recording and I report that it did not function very well, today I recorded Phil Spencer Secret Agent on Channel 4 HD and the result was adverts were missed entirely on the first bookmarks after the beginning bookmarks (which were reasonably OK) then about fifteen minutes was cut short at the end of the programme.

I then used the 'Run Analysis Now' button on the original encrypted file and the result was as bad (the same) as cropping while recording.

I then decrypted the original file first before using the 'Run Analysis Now' button and the result was almost perfect, the ad breaks removal was again as with Life of Pi nearly frame perfect with just a second or so of sound missing after the break, the beginning and end of the programme was spot on, so it works much better if I decrypt manually first.

Last edited:
I have tested the feature for cropping while recording and I report that it did not function very well, today I recorded Phil Spencer Secret Agent on Channel 4 HD and the result was adverts were missed entirely on the first bookmarks after the beginning bookmarks (which were reasonably OK) then about fifteen minutes was cut short at the end of the programme.

I then used the 'Run Analysis Now' button on the original encrypted file and the result was as bad (the same) as cropping while recording.

I then decrypted the original file first before using the 'Run Analysis Now' button and the result was almost perfect, the ad breaks removal was again as with Life of Pi nearly frame perfect with just a second or so of sound missing after the break, the beginning and end of the programme was spot on, so it works much better if I decrypt manually first.

I am quite surprised that you got significantly different results between Chaserun processing and normal processing, the output should be identical. You should be able to take the -dec.ts file produced by chaserun and the decrypted output from auto-descrypt, run cmp on them and have the results show as identical, occasionally there can be length differences in the last few seconds of the recording if DLNA indexing kicks in whilst retrieval is still in progress but that is quite rare.

DetectAds works very well on the HD programmes I have used it on.
I have tested Channel 4 HD, 4Seven HD and ITV HD, but I am not getting any good results on SD channels.

I recorded a full length two hour Doctor Who from the horror channel and run DetectAds after manually decrypting it, the result was very dissapointing, large chunks of the ads were still there and the end still had too much material that could have been cropped out.

Also I don't get any data in the detectads.log file.

Having said this, I try to get most of the programmes I want in HD if possible, so if and when all channels transmit in HD I think DetectAds will be invaluable.

Last edited:
You should get output in detectads.log when running analysis in background, check the "Auto-processing log level" in General setting - I use the middle setting for normal operation

I get good results on channels 3/4 SD but don't often record from the minor channels, unfortunately sponsor bumper messages, viewer competitions, news bulletins and some trailers don't always have the necessary silences to allow them to be removed.

Back