Detect ads settings

Robti

Hi after reading a thread from @Trev about switching cropping on can I ask for some help.
I have been running detect adds with only mark the end of adverts and all seems to be running fine, I would now like to try the cropping function but am lost as to what to have the “only bookmark the end of ad breaks” on or off.
Any help please ?
Thanks

You need both 'start' and 'end' bookmarks to crop the ads, so I'm sure that you can now work that one out. ;)
But just in case, switch it 'Off' so that DA can detect both the start and end of the ads.:)

I would now like to try the cropping function but am lost as to what to have the “only bookmark the end of ad breaks” on or off.
The cropping is done by another package: nicesplice. nicesplice removes and keeps alternate sections between bookmarks, and also has to be told whether to keep or remove the section before the first bookmark (to begin the alternation process). Therefore it needs a bookmark at the start of the crop as well as at the end.

The detectads option to only bookmark the end of breaks is a convenience for those of us who prefer to reach for the skip to next bookmark button than trust that the bookmarks are in the right place so crop won't ruin the recording.

But just in case, switch it 'Off' so that DA can detect both the start and end of the ads.:)
To be picky: detectads always detects both the start and the end (the algorithm requires it). It's a question of filtering the output rather than affecting the operation.

If you are new to cropping I suggest that you don't let detectads delete the original file until you are comfortable that the cropping is working correctly, you will have two versions of the recording: the cropped version with the -crop suffix and the bookmarked original.

When cropping is done within the detectads process bookmarks are not used to communicate with nicesplice, timestamps are used instead, so it doesn't matter whether you use the “only bookmark the end of ad breaks” option or not. The starting bookmarks are only required if you might want to manually crop a file at a later time

Back