[detectads] Automatically bookmark ad breaks

Thanks for the package which I have just started using - it has worked perfectly so far

A few suggestions for the wish list:
  • I always seem to have to invert the selection in Crop - it seems to want to keep ads and delete the program ;) Not a big hassle
  • Option to run crop automatically after analysis is complete so file is ready to watch adfree (providing Original is kept by Crop there is not too much risk if ads are misidentified)
  • Show Analysis status in top of screen activity bar so that it can be seen when auto detect is running, ideally with % complete or remaining time estimate
  • Options for channels to the be included/excluded from auto detection and/or folder based option (but I use Flatten so folders don't usually stick around)

Thanks, MymsMan. Glad to hear it's working for you. Those all sound like useful features. My Humax is out of action right now because the HDD just died, but I'll see what I can do when the replacement HDD arrives.

Thanks, MymsMan. Glad to hear it's working for you. Those all sound like useful features. My Humax is out of action right now because the HDD just died, but I'll see what I can do when the replacement HDD arrives.

I hope your Hummy feels better soon!

I think the reason Crop is becoming confused is that Detect ads puts an initial BM at location 0.0 and a final BM at the end of recording to delineate the preceding and trailing ads whilst the assumption that Crop uses is that first BM will be at the actual program start and last BM will correspond with program end.

Unfortunately it is not possible to guarantee that the recording starts before the programme starts - that will be the typical case for and AR recording. It is therefore just as valid to have the first segment included in the crop as to have the first segment deleted by the crop, and it is necessary for the user to decide which is appropriate before proceeding. It might be possible to auto-detect: choose the crop which keeps the greatest proportion of the recording, but even that might fail if the recording is short.

I would like to be able to choose the operating mode: for typical record-watch-delete use it is not necessary to go to the trouble of cropping, it would be sufficient to place a bookmark at the end of ad breaks only (then the viewer can simply press the "jump to next bookmark" button to skip the ad break).

IIRC all or some of this has been discussed before.

Not been on the forums for a while, but some great adds, and this package is one of them :) Just so I'm clear, can someone confirm the steps needed?
  • SD prog, no decrypt needed, but if HD, auto-decrypt/recursive auto-decrypt required (is there a difference?)/has to happen first?
  • decrypt done, detect adds should run automatically (if enabled under Settings page), and insert bookmarks? How long after the prog finishes before detectads kicks in?
  • finally, if required run crop, to take out unwanted adds?
As mentioned before, Crop seems to be the wrong way round :) But when this is "fixed", it would be cool to add an autocrop to all this (the fact crop saves the original is great as a backup/ to be be able to compare how good detectads was/is)

cheers

cabs
PS-is there any plans to be able to do a remote firmware update for the boxes from the web?-or does it all still need to be done from the USB method?

It is absolutely not possible to update the firmware itself other than by rebooting with the update file on a UPD in the USB socket, and never will be.

IIRC detectads needs to be initiated manually, or possibly as a folder option in the WebIF, but I don't see why I should read back through the topic for you.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, neither crop nor inverted crop is certain to work every time for the reason stated.

Thank you Sir-I will re-read through the thread , as you instruct :) I appreciate the answer on the firmware.
I just thought it wise to make sure my understanding was complete.

cheers

cabs

OK, now I'm home I just skimmed the WebIF... looks like you can trigger it manually for a particular recording or set it to run automatically following decryption. Considering the recording needs to be processed with ffmpeg to scan for soundtrack silences, it can only work on decrypted recordings (that means StDef as well as HiDef), if unsure see Things Every... (click) section 5.

Bear in mind it is computationally intensive and only worth running on programmes from commercial services, of particular importance. IIRC the were plans to add it as an operation in sweeper, so that the user can define rules about when it runs.

SD prog, no decrypt needed, but if HD, auto-decrypt/recursive auto-decrypt required (is there a difference?)/has to happen first?
No. ALL progs. need to be decrypted, by whatever method. To decrypt HD you need auto-unprotect.

Detect Ads and Crop must be my favourite packages. They make watching without the need of the remote in my hand a pleasure. I would be quite happy for Crop to run automatically after Detect Ads, making the assumption that saving 70-80% would be the correct option. Running Crop manually I find it necessary to invert the selection in 99% of the recordings. As the original recording is also saved this would be available in the event of things going wrong. Any chance?

Thank you for your input Black Hole, but perhaps not best bet for dummies like me?? I have been able to set Auto-decrypt on selected programs, and through settings, set Detect-ads to automatically process after Decrypt. Could not Crop be invoked with a similar settings option? Sweeper looks a little tricky to me, having to worry about rules?

Providing yet another way to automate a series of actions is not appropriate - that's what sweeper is supposed to unify. It just requires that operations such as detect-ads and crop are added to the action options.

There are facilities for predefined sweeper rules, so it's not that bad, and we're always here to help.

Have looked at Sweeper and decided that it's not for me - far too complicated - couldn't find any suitable rules so removed package. It looks like I will just have to live with running auto-decrypt from Folder Opt menu, then run Detect-ads automatically using settings for detectads - easy peasy - then sit down at my pc to crop manually. Either that or settle with Remote bookmark key to skip ads:disagree:. (Sorry, Black Hole)

IIRC the were plans to add it as an operation in sweeper, so that the user can define rules about when it runs.
Can you point me to the discussion - I have tried to search the forums but haven't come across any plans to add running detect-ads to the Sweeper package.

I don't currently use Sweeper, I just use Flatten since it meets all my file moving needs with no need to define any rules,
I can see how the Sweeper rules could be very useful in determining which programs should be subjected to ad-detection if you want to be selective but they may be overkill for those that merely wish to exclude BBC and other channels without in program ad breaks from detection

I may have been thinking of this post, but we could do with af123 joining the conversation:
Good ideas, both. Here's what I'm hoping to include in the next version:
  • Auto-process files that have been moved by sweeper (done)
  • Resume auto-processing of a recording if it's interrupted by the box going into standby. Right now it starts over again. (partially done)
  • Add a setting to ignore BBC recordings (not done)
  • Queue recordings from the webif rather than processing them directly in the webif (not done)
As you see, an "ignore non-commercial" flag was in the offing at one time.

I detect my references to sweeper are being interpreted as unhelpful. What I am doing is trying to indicate the direction that future development will probably take, given the history of where we are and how we got here. af123 created sweeper as a means to classify and re-file recordings which ended up in My Video as a result of being a non-series recording or by flatten: a set of rules try to detect the nature of the recording and specify what you want to do with it. It has been extended to be able to replace flatten and provide renaming capability, but that does not stop flatten being used.

As such, sweeper provides a framework for automating various manipulations, tied in to the auto-processing scheduling functions of the WebIF. You can't just say "OK, let's make detectads automatically run on a new recording and then automatically invoke crop" without considering how this will co-operate with everything else going on in the custom firmware - not to mention that the custom firmware already has to avoid upsetting anything the Humax firmware may be doing.

By adding a "detectads" and "crop" action and a "processed by detectads" rule to sweeper, much finer control would become available to run these options on a recording - just plain "run detectads then run crop on all new recordings" if you wanted, or "run detectads then run crop on new recordings which satisfy the condition genre=movies in folder=[Mum]".

It makes sense (to me, anyway) that sweeper is the vehicle for this. It is the user-controllable automation tool, and worth learning (if and when it can do what you want). Help is always on hand.

Looks like detectads is proving useful to many and I'm keen to join them. I've tried it with various recordings all with ads, but so far all give a log like this one, ending in apparent failure to detect any ads. Is it really that hit and miss, could I be doing something wrong or have an odd config ?

04/11/2014 12:20 - DETECTADS: /media/My Video/The Secret Life of Napoleon/The Secret Life of Henry VIII_20141102_0145.ts
04/11/2014 12:20 - Initial bookmarks:
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@Threshold=-70.0, MinQuiet=0.20, MinDetect=5.0, MinLength=60.0, MaxSep=90.0, Pad=0.00
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@Threshold=679094, MinQuiet=5, MinDetect=5, MinLength=1500, MaxSep=2251, Pad=1
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@Frame rate is 25.00, Detecting silences below 679094 that last for at least 5 frames
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@Clusters are composed of a minimum of 5 silences closer than 2251 frames and must be
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@longer than 1500 frames in total. Cuts will be padded by 1 frames
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@< preroll, > postroll, - advert, ? too few silences, # too short, = comm flagged
04/11/2014 12:20 - info@ Start - End Start - End Duration Interval Level/Count
04/11/2014 12:20 - info@ frame - frame (mmm:ss-mmm:ss) frame (mm:ss.s) frame (mmm:ss)
04/11/2014 12:20 - err@libsndfile error:
04/11/2014 12:20 - err@File contains data in an unknown format.
04/11/2014 12:20 - Final bookmarks:
04/11/2014 12:20 - done...processed in 42.787s - 0 ad breaks bookmarked

Interested to see if some one can make anything of this.

Looks like detectads is proving useful to many and I'm keen to join them. I've tried it with various recordings all with ads, but so far all give a log like this one, ending in apparent failure to detect any ads. Is it really that hit and miss, could I be doing something wrong or have an odd config ?

04/11/2014 12:20 - DETECTADS: /media/My Video/The Secret Life of Napoleon/The Secret Life of Henry VIII_20141102_0145.ts
04/11/2014 12:20 - Initial bookmarks:
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@Threshold=-70.0, MinQuiet=0.20, MinDetect=5.0, MinLength=60.0, MaxSep=90.0, Pad=0.00
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@Threshold=679094, MinQuiet=5, MinDetect=5, MinLength=1500, MaxSep=2251, Pad=1
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@Frame rate is 25.00, Detecting silences below 679094 that last for at least 5 frames
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@Clusters are composed of a minimum of 5 silences closer than 2251 frames and must be
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@longer than 1500 frames in total. Cuts will be padded by 1 frames
04/11/2014 12:20 - debug@< preroll, > postroll, - advert, ? too few silences, # too short, = comm flagged
04/11/2014 12:20 - info@ Start - End Start - End Duration Interval Level/Count
04/11/2014 12:20 - info@ frame - frame (mmm:ss-mmm:ss) frame (mm:ss.s) frame (mmm:ss)
04/11/2014 12:20 - err@libsndfile error:
04/11/2014 12:20 - err@File contains data in an unknown format.
04/11/2014 12:20 - Final bookmarks:
04/11/2014 12:20 - done...processed in 42.787s - 0 ad breaks bookmarked

Interested to see if some one can make anything of this.

Detectads requires the file to be decrypted first and symptoms that you see are common if the file has not yet been decrypted,

It would be helpful if it checked for the Decrypt flag and gave a more meaningful message,

Do you have autodecrypt specified for the folder? Otherwise you will need to run decrypt manually first

Back