DHCP Server

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Is it possible to run a DHCP server on the HDR on demand? This would make it easy to set up ad-hoc point-to-point network access if required for maintenance purposes.

Dnsmasq is already running on the Humax, but it doesn't have DHCP support compiled in.
I expect it's not the world's most difficult job to recompile it with support and configure it.

Dnsmasq is usually the thing that runs on your typical home router e.g. Netgear and such like, to provide DHCP service.
It certainly did on mine anyway, until I turned off most of the buggy old software by turning it into bridge-mode (modem only now).

prpr
May I ask what device now handles the DHCP service within your network? I am assuming that something must allocate IP addresses for all the other devices, or have you gone with some other configuration?
Regards, Mike.

May I ask what device now handles the DHCP service within your network? I am assuming that something must allocate IP addresses for all the other devices, or have you gone with some other configuration?
A different make of router - one which is completely configurable - and which doesn't have a modem built in. PPPoE service for internet now terminates on that router rather than the old modem(/router). It also has wireless built in and a gigabit switch. It does guest wireless, VPNs and VLANs as well (and that's just scratching the surface). I have 3 DHCP servers running on it, as there are 3 subnets configured! All in a nice plastic case :). But not for amateurs/typical domestic use - you need some degree of clue about networking.

Back