Differences in busybox in Foxsat HDR and Foxsat HD firmware

garynl

I want to use the opkg-tools package created for the Foxsat HDR on the HD.
When I first ran opkg-unpack I got an error because it couldn't find 'basename'. First thought was simply to make a link just like all the other commands, but as they are on a readonly file system, my work around was to create an alias. However, this doesnt work either because busybox says the applet can not be found.

I got round this by writing a small script to do the same as basename. When I ran opkg-unpack again it got further until it reached a line invoking tar, which is also missing.

I assume that basename and tar must be enabled in the HDR firmware (but I have just looked at the busybox in raydon's CF 4.0.7 and these dont appear to be enabled either).

The busybox package on hummypkg does contain basename and tar (and other extra commands). Unfortunately the busybox executable is 1.5 MB but the rootfs block in the HD firmware is max 1 MiB so it isn't going to fit. (The busybox executable in the original HD firmware is just 600k).

It looks like I am going to have to teach myself how to cross-compile busybox, but are there any alternative solutions?

It looks like I am going to have to teach myself how to cross-compile busybox, but are there any alternative solutions?
It should be reasonably straight forward.

Download crosstools from the humax open source page. Untar it and add the bin directory to your PATH.
Download busybox and the config tarball from the same web page. Humax may include the busybox config in the config tarball. If so, save it as .config in the busybox root directory. You should then be able to compile it with 'make menuconfig; make'.

An alternative would be to compile the opkg binary as suggested by af123, then you wouldn't need tar or ar.

BTW I notice that 'ar' in the opkg-tools package has not been stripped (it is over 3M). You may wish to strip it with 'mips-linux-strip ar'.

Back