Difficulties editing posts

• Thread starter Deleted member 473
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 473

I know about the problem where there is a URL at the end of a post, and the work-around of having to press space before you can press Enter for a new line, or having to go into text editing mode to do the same.

However, I met this same problem on a post that didn't end in a URL today. Is there any forum software update that cures this?

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/virgin-media.4586/

Post #2. It would not allow me to add the bit starting PS.

If you click the tool at the extreme right of the edit toolbar, the edit window will switch from WYSIWYG to "display codes" - and then you will see where to edit things. Inside a URL code the target link is inside the open URL tag, and the text shown in the post as the link is between the open and close tags.

Using iPad/Safari, we don't get WYSIWYG and I have to type the BB codes directly (help available from the "help" drop-down at the top of the browser page).

I know about the problem where there is a URL at the end of a post, and the work-around of having to press space before you can press Enter for a new line, or having to go into text editing mode to do the same.

However, I met this same problem on a post that didn't end in a URL today. Is there any forum software update that cures this?

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/virgin-media.4586/

Post #2. It would not allow me to add the bit starting PS.
I am not aware of any problems editing posts.

I am not aware of any problems editing posts.

Really? I am surprised! I regularly get them. Any already posted post that ends in a URL is difficult to add to, without entering text mode. You just can't move past the end of the URL with an Enter, you have to press the space bar first. I haven't tried other browsers, I only use Chrome, so wonder if there is something browser-specific in the code.

Today was the first time I have met a post not ending in a URL that is difficult to edit.

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/difficulties-editing-posts.4590/#post-57706

Edit was OK in Firefox, so it is a Chrome incompatibility. The HTML is invalid, dunno if that is the problem:

1. error.png
    Line 2, Column 112: Attribute xmlns:fb not allowed here.
    …lass="Public LoggedOut NoSidebar" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml">
  2. warning.png
    Line 2, Column 112: Attribute with the local name xmlns:fb is not serializable as XML 1.0.
    …lass="Public LoggedOut NoSidebar" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml">
  3. error.png
    Line 51, Column 61: Bad value twitter:app:id:ipad for attribute name on element meta: Keyword twitter:app:id:ipad is not registered.
    <meta name="twitter:app:id:ipad" content="307880732">
    Syntax of metadata name:
    A metadata name listed in the HTML specification or listed in the WHATWG wiki. You can register metadata names on the WHATWG wiki yourself.
  4. error.png
    Line 88, Column 23: Element style is missing required attribute scoped.
    <style type="text/css">
    Attributes for element style:
    Global attributes
    media
    type
    scoped
    Also, the title attribute has special semantics on this element.
  5. error.png
    Line 140, Column 76: Bad value up for attribute rel on element a: The string up is not a registered keyword or absolute URL.
    … class="crumb" rel="up" itemprop="url"><span itemprop="title">Forums</span></a…
    Syntax of link type valid for <a> and <area>:
    A whitespace-separated list of link types, with no duplicate keywords in the list. Each link type must be listed as allowed on <a> and <area> in the HTML specification, or must be listed as allowed on <a> and <area> on the Microformats wiki, or must be an absolute URL. You can register link types on the Microformats wiki yourself.
  6. error.png
    Line 334, Column 66: Bad value Menu for attribute rel on element a: The string menu is not a registered keyword or absolute URL.
    <a href="http://hummy.tv/forum/" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>
    A whitespace-separated list of link types, with no duplicate keywords in the list. Each link type must be listed as allowed on <a> and <area> in the HTML specification, or must be listed as allowed on <a> and <area> on the Microformats wiki, or must be an absolute URL. You can register link types on the Microformats wiki yourself.
  7. error.png
    Line 364, Column 74: Bad value Menu for attribute rel on element a: The string menu is not a registered keyword or absolute URL.
    <a href="http://hummy.tv/forum/members/" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>
  8. error.png
    Line 387, Column 71: Bad value Menu for attribute rel on element a: The string menu is not a registered keyword or absolute URL.
    <a href="http://hummy.tv/forum/help/" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>
  9. error.png
    Line 432, Column 167: Attribute results not allowed on element input at this point.
    …esults="0" title="Enter your search and hit enter" id="QuickSearchQuery" />
    Attributes for element input:
    Global attributes
    accept when type is file
    alt when type is image
    autocomplete when type is text, search, url, tel, e-mail, password, datetime, date, month, week, time, datetime-local, number, range, or color
    autofocus
    checked when type is checkbox or radio
    dirname when type is text or search
    disabled
    form
    formaction when type is submit or image
    formenctype when type is submit or image
    formmethod when type is submit or image
    formnovalidate when type is submit or image
    formtarget when type is submit or image
    height when type is image
    list when type is text, search, url, tel, e-mail, datetime, date, month, week, time, datetime-local, number, range, or color
    max when type is datetime, date, month, week, time, datetime-local, number, or range
    maxlength when type is text, search, url, tel, e-mail, or password
    min when type is datetime, date, month, week, time, datetime-local, number, or range
    multiple when type is email or file
    name
    pattern when type is text, search, url, tel, e-mail, or password
    placeholder when type is text, search, url, tel, e-mail, password, or number
    readonly when type is text, search, url, tel, e-mail, password, datetime, date, month, week, time, datetime-local, or number
    required when type is text, search, url, tel, e-mail, password, datetime, date, month, week, time, datetime-local, number, checkbox, radio, or file
    size when type is text, search, url, tel, e-mail, or password
    src when type is image
    step when type is datetime, date, month, week, time, datetime-local, number, or range
    type
    value when type is not file or image
    width when type is image
  10. warning.png
    Line 459, Column 89: The date input type is not supported in all browsers. Please be sure to test, and consider using a polyfill.
    …t type="date" name="date" value="" class="textCtrl" id="searchBar_date" /></dd>
  11. error.png
    Line 471, Column 106: Bad value Menu for attribute rel on element a: The string menu is not a registered keyword or absolute URL.
    …"Useful Searches" data-tipclass="flipped"><span class="arrowWidget"></span></a>
  12. error.png
    Line 548, Column 9: The text content of element script was not in the required format: Expected space, tab, newline, or slash but found { instead.
    </script>
    Syntax of script documentation:
    Zero or more code comments, each of which is either a single-line comment starting with "//" or a multi-line comment starting with "/*" and ending with "*/". The content must also meet the constraints of the script microsyntax. For further details, see Inline documentation for external scripts.

Chrome seems to be causing quite a few problems recently. I have been using Firefox as my preferred browser for a number of years.

Firefox has caused me so many problems in the past, I generally use Chrome all the time now. Firefox also looks like it was designed in the 1990s!

A well designed site should work in any browser, especially standards-compliant ones!

Firefox has caused me so many problems in the past, I generally use Chrome all the time now. Firefox also looks like it was designed in the 1990s!
Unfortunately, they have just ruined Firefox for me in version 29, so much so that I have only yesterday, reverted back to version 28.

this site isn't standards compliant. Most sites aren't.

A very poor argument: IMHO. With tools like the w3c validator, it is relatively easy to make sites compliant.

A very poor argument: IMHO. With tools like the w3c validator, it is relatively easy to make sites compliant.

Not really. Validators make it easy to see if a site is compliant and possibly what makes it non-compliant. But it still needs someone to do any fixes. (I used one on my site and gave up trying to fix it after half an hour. It seems to work OK, so I'll fix it when it's properly broken. : )

Except when it doesn't, in browsers you haven't tested.
True. But even if it was compliant it might not work in them, since every browser seems to have it's own little (or large) foibles. (That's one for Assume vs Presume - can you have a large foible?)

It (my website) looks fine in Chrome, Firefox and (recent) IE and it's only a static hobby site, so no great shakes if it glitches in some of the less popular browsers. I mean, it's 14 years old now and built extensively on (purists should look away now) tables :eek: , so a major rebuild is really needed. One day, one day ...

I mean, it's 14 years old now and built extensively on (purists should look away now) tables:eek:

I know what you mean. Some of those dreadful web site construction programs mangle out some awful non-compliant code, too. I am a great believer in letting the code reflect the structure of a document and then using CSS to produce the appearance, but WYSIAYG is still in the ascendancy.

I am such a purist I don't even see <h1>...<h6> as suitable. For example, if you use them and then move the code down one level, so that there is a new <h1> but the old <h1> becomes <h2> etc, you have a massive unnecessary edit on your hands!

The browsers are fairly standards compliant now, you just need to avoid the non-compliant features. Having said that, I did produce one web site where the only way to make it work was to feed IE an illegal attribute! :mad:

Back