Difficulties Navigating the Forum

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I have no idea where I am or where i've been on this forum? It seems wherever I turn on this forum I get hassle to say I am in the wrong place or why do I keep on asking the same questions, I have followed the instructions in the links the best I can...[snip]

Maybe i'm not cutout for this forum business, I find it very complicated
I'm sure we would like to sort your problems out. Personally my experience with this forum in particular very smooth (I can assure you there are worse), and if I can understand what problems you are experiencing it will be a help to you and anyone else in a similar position.

The first thing to be clear about is that a forum is a text-based discussion area hosted on the Web and accessed through a web browser like any other web page. The experience will be much more frustrating on a small screen like a phone than on a large screen such as a tablet or a PC, better with a quick Internet connection than a slow one, easier to interact with using a proper keyboard rather than a touch screen, and (from my experience) downright awkward using an Android phone/tablet rather than an Apple phone/tablet.

Because the small screen of a phone is not very good for displaying the forum, there are apps dedicated to the purpose such as Tapatalk, which reformats the presentation to be more suitable for the small screen. I don't have experience of those, but there are regular members of the forum using Tapatalk.

Please confirm what equipment you are using to view the forum, hardware and software (what device are you using, and what is your browser eg Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, etc).

The forum itself is divided into discussion areas, and in each discussion area there are many topics of public conversation. The conversations are the individual topics listed in the index for that discussion area, and the listing is (by default) in the most recently active topic first. However, the discussion area can be further subdivided, so to get to any specific area of interest one starts at the top level https://hummy.tv/forum/ to see the list of discussion areas, and click a specific one to see the listing of any topics within it and any sub-forums it contains.

Quite a few of us keep up with every new post on the forum. There are a few ways to do this, one is to use the "Recent Activity" link on the Quick Navigation Menu (click the tiny up-and-right arrow icon at the right of the pale blue forum navigation bar near the top of the page):

IMG_2492.jpg

The method I use is to look through the forum index - any new content since my last visit is displayed in bold, and is unemboldened when I have looked at it. To start from a fresh slate click "Mark Forums Read" near the top left corner of the page, select "Mark all forums read" on the pop-up form and then click the "Mark Forums Read" button.

If you are only interested in topics you started or have contributed to (or wish to find them), click your forum name where it is displayed near the top right of the page, then click "Your Content" on the drop-down list that opens. There you will find your 200 most recent posts (and there are other options for listing your content by topic etc).

To be alerted to new posts in topics of interest (by a flag at the top right of the page, and an optional email), make sure you mark the topic as "watched" by clicking "Watch Thread" near the top right of the first post in the topic. The topic can be unwatched by the same method. All topics you start can be automatically watched by a setting in your user options.

Last edited:
The method I use is to look through the forum index - any new content since my last visit is displayed in bold,
I find that clicking the 'New Posts' link in the light blue 'header bar' pretty simple. You can then make a shortcut/bookmark to that page which opens hummy.tv in your browser on the 'New Posts' page, listing just new posts.

I find that clicking the 'New Posts' link in the light blue 'header bar' pretty simple. You can then make a shortcut/bookmark to that page which opens hummy.tv in your browser on the 'New Posts' page, listing just new posts.
The unfortunate side-effect of that (and similar) method is that it is not easy to keep track of which forum section (subject area) the post is in, and therefore the context of the topic.

The unfortunate side-effect of that (and similar) method is that it is not easy to keep track of which forum section (subject area) the post is in, and therefore the context of the topic.
It's there in the list (admittedly in a smaller font) and you only have to scroll to the top of the page on the message itself to check.
'New posts' saves a whole load of time compared to 'polling' through the forum sections manually - I used to do that until I saw 'New posts'.

Back