Difficulty getting reliable operation with Custom Firmware

I recently upgraded from 200Mbps Net-x to 500Mbps Devolo, and whereas previously I had playback issues on HiDef these have disappeared (the Net-x broke).

Do you get the same unresponsiveness if you stream in the other direction?

Do you get the same unresponsiveness if you stream in the other direction?

The speed in the other direction is ~10Mbps, and that's enough for a HiDef programme to play ok, as long as there's not much other traffic on the LAN. (I calculate a 30 min 1.5GB HiDef file equates to ~6.5 Mbps average, excluding the TCP/IP protocol overhead).

I meant the HDR freezing up. If the effects are not repeatable on another unit (by reversing the functions) it could be pointing to a defect in the unit itself.

You might also be interested in THIS TOPIC (click).

I meant the HDR freezing up. If the effects are not repeatable on another unit (by reversing the functions) it could be pointing to a defect in the unit itself.

I've had both HDRs freeze up (unresponsive to remote control or panel switches, but still responsive to webif/rs), following playing content from the other HDR. I haven't tried to "stream" in only direction - while testing I've always "streamed" in both directions, though not simultaneously.

I had a thought this morning that might it be associated with trying to run foxlink in both directions. I'm going to uninstall foxlink and virtualdisk2 for one direction, and see whether it still freezes after "streaming" content in the other direction.

Aha! - so you are using network mounts rather than DLNA streaming.

We do not have many examples of HDRs running both a network client and a server at the same time. This could be problematic with SMB, where the USB drives (and presumably the virtualised USB network mounts) are contained in the mount and could therefore end up in an infinite loop. foxlink uses NFS, which does not mount the USB drives (something I had previously regarded as a disadvantage).

I suggest (as a trial) removing the network mounts and trying the standard DLNA client-server. Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network

Sorry, I should have made it clear I was using network-mounts, not DLNA. I thought I had by listing foxlink in the installed packages, but I can see now that doesn't tell you anything!

I initially tried the standard DLNA client-server approach. The problem with it is the FF/RWD functionality is virtually useless/unusable, and features such as delete/move recording aren't available. Another significant omission is the ability to pause the playback in one room and continue from the same point in another room.

Unless DLNA with the CF offers these features, then I can't see the point of trialling it even as, even if it does work, we'll never use it. Will testing it tell us anything about the overall installation? If so, I'll happily give it a go.

However, now I know not many folk have tried running network mounts in both directions, I will trial running that in one direction only - we could live with that limitation if it turns out to be necessary.

Does anyone successfully run network mounts in both directions, using either foxlink or network-auto mount?

We have 2 HDRs linked by foxlink but until yesterday it was only running "one way". I have found it probably the best feature of the CF. I was also put off by the potential mess I could make trying to get network auto mounts to work.

One of our HDRs is connected to our router by network cable and the other by TP-Link 200. One of the powerline adaptors is actually plugged into an extension lead which is not recommended.

We've had no problems whatsoever using it "one way" except very occasional HD streaming issues which resolve within a few seconds.

I installed foxlink on our other HDR last night and watched an SD programme without issue although the other box wasn't being used by anyone. My need for using it both ways simultaneously, or using a box whilst it is streaming to the other, is limited but if the opportunity arises I will try it out.

I initially tried the standard DLNA client-server approach. The problem with it is the FF/RWD functionality is virtually useless/unusable, and features such as delete/move recording aren't available. Another significant omission is the ability to pause the playback in one room and continue from the same point in another room.
Quite so. I was hoping to discover whether it eliminated your freezing problem.

Back