Difficulty playing mp3s

Robhatherton

Hi, I am now running the latest custom firmware but I also had this problem when previously running the ordinary Humax software.

I have a reasonably large collection of mp3s that I access through the music section of the program. Some are copied from CDs and some purchased downloads. The problem is that the humax will play one track then the next or perhaps the one after wont play - or at least no sound comes out although the display shows the track playing. If I then press the back button and play or ok it will,play normally. At its worst it will only play alternate tracks. Any ideas?

The custom firmware has no bearing on this problem, nor is there anything that custom firmware could do to put it right (short of hacking the Humax proprietary code for which we have no documentation whatsoever). You're stuck with it, sorry, and we have long concluded that the HDR-FOX is lousy for anything other than video (and even then with limitations).

I have a reasonably large collection of mp3s . . . Any ideas?
Which output from the Humax are you using i.e. HDMI, Optical (Toslink) connector or analogue phono (RCA) read / white connectors? another user is having problems playing MP3s via the phono connectors, link HERE

we have long concluded that the HDR-FOX is lousy for anything other than video (and even then with limitations).

Not too sure about that. I find the MP3 side works fine using files delivered from media on a Vista laptop and a tower unit from Windows 7 and Serviio (the later now it's been updated). I use TOS out. I use Ezra's tip of playing Mp4a's via renaming method thanks to DinkyPumpkin and that well known radio player software which needs updating if you haven't done it since the end of the year as an aside since aunties been up to stuff which they had prepared for. So I personally have hours of enjoyment delivering MP3 and MP4a into the Humax for trouble free listening:). Serviio does on the fly conversion of audio from other audio formats plus online, so I now get my podcasts that method as well fed into the Humax. So I wouldn't rubbish it myself. Non wifi connection preferable.

Hi
It's the hdmi output I'm using. One file will play then the next one may output no sound when it moves automatically from one track to the next. If I press the back button then play the same track manually the sound works fine. I've checked the original MP3 files on my laptop and they all play on that with no issue.

It's a puzzle!

The only suggestion I can make is for you to determine if the 'Next' track is in a different MP3 format to the first track and that maybe the problem would go away if all tracks were of the same format. I appreciate that the 'Next' track will play after a 'Back', but I was just wondering if the Humax can't cope with changing MP3 formats for some reason. I have never encountered this problem, but all my MP3s are of the same format

Not too sure about that. I find the MP3 side works fine using files delivered from media on a Vista laptop and a tower unit from Windows 7 and Serviio (the later now it's been updated). I use TOS out. I use Ezra's tip of playing Mp4a's via renaming method thanks to DinkyPumpkin and that well known radio player software which needs updating if you haven't done it since the end of the year as an aside since aunties been up to stuff which they had prepared for. So I personally have hours of enjoyment delivering MP3 and MP4a into the Humax for trouble free listening:). Serviio does on the fly conversion of audio from other audio formats plus online, so I now get my podcasts that method as well fed into the Humax. So I wouldn't rubbish it myself. Non wifi connection preferable.
That's as a DLNA client rather than playing locally stored media. I acknowledge it is a capable DLNA client (as long as you can satisfy its format requirements). As an MP3 player or photo viewer, it leaves much to be desired.

Thanks to Black Hole and Ezra. But all downloaded albums are 256 MP3 and all the ones ripped from cd are 320 so it's not having to play different formats one after another. I wondered if it was some kind of DRM problem with older recordings but new downloads from Amazon have the same problem. It's not consistent and will sometimes play three then not the fourth or sometimes only play alternate tracks.

Perhaps Black Hole is right and I need to but a proper media player but it's convenient to play music through the same music system as my TV (or would be if it worked better!)

Thanks for your time anyway!

Back