disable-ota package - Clarification sought.

Looking at the disable-ota package via Web-IF, the option is to
"Create reminder to cover OTA period? Yes/No".

If I choose "No", thus not creating a reminder to cover OTA period,
does this in effect disable the disable-ota package?

Yes, I have read
Disable OTA
Disable OTA inhibits any Over The Air software updates transmitted by Humax by deleting OTA schedules created by the Humax, it also has a "Create Reminder to cover OTA Period = Y / N" option in the Settings page, this will create a reminder on the Red Button (channel 200) to cover the OTA period, if you want it to use a different channel or on / off time, you can edit the reminder using the standard Humax on-TV menus, you can also disable the reminder option completely, however this if this is done the there is a small possibility that a DSO may still be actioned on your Humax

I suppose what I am asking is, is the setting of a reminder totally necessary, or merely a belt and braces option?

I suppose what I am asking is, is the setting of a reminder totally necessary, or merely a belt and braces option?
It's just belt-and-braces, and not required now that there are no mode OTAs. The original package is still useful if you want to prevent the overnight wakeup entirely.

It's just belt-and-braces, and not required now that there are no mode OTAs. The original package is still useful if you want to prevent the overnight wakeup entirely.
Is the overnight wakeup 'hardwired' into the Humax?

Poor, lonely T2, waking up to looks for an OTA that never comes.

Do such packages have any overhead, or effect on stablilty?

Is the overnight wakeup 'hardwired' into the Humax?
Yes. The disable-ota package stops that happening. But you still need a periodic wake up to ensure the EPG is kept up to date for recordings, or a periodic change-channel to ensure the EPG doesn't go stale for 24/7 HDR-FOXes.

Do such packages have any overhead, or effect on stablilty?
Disabling the OTA removes an unnecessary power cycle for the machine so may have a small positive effect on the overall lifetime of the machine.
If you use the reminder it will definitely fully power on so disable-OTA with no back up reminder is the best for minimising the impact.

hhmm... I disabled the reminder on disable-OTA just to watch him die.
er... sorry, just to see what would happen and nothing did.

Which is to say there is still a reminder in the schedule.

Oh, does disable-OTA create the reminder if it is not there?

So, I need to delete it from the schedule myself?

Sorry for thinking out loud and I thank everyone for the detailed, interesting, useful replies.

Last edited:
Back