Disappearing recordings....

Ineluki

My HDR-Fox-T2 has started recording programmes and then hiding them. The programmes show as recording, but when they finish, there's no new item in the folder.

Has anyone come across this issue?

It's not the first problem we've had with this box, so we've replaced it with a 4000T; however, there are a bunch of recordings on there I'd like to access.

I assume I can just use it as a playback device. I may install the custom firmware and see if I can find the "lost" recordings.

Is there any way to get (some of) the recordings off the T2 and on to the 4000T? Or am I better putting them onto an external drive?

The filesystem on your media partition has probably gone read-only. Install the CF and find out how to run the fixdisk process.
If your remote is bu**ered, then buy a new one. Damned sight cheaper than buying a (crappy IMHO) 4000T.
Yes you can copy off to external drive. You need to read up about decryption if the recordings are HD.

My HDR-Fox-T2 has started recording programmes and then hiding them. The programmes show as recording, but when they finish, there's no new item in the folder.

....I may install the custom firmware and see if I can find the "lost" recordings.
What makes you think they have been "lost" subsequent to the recording rather than never committed to disk in the first place?

There's not much about a HDR-FOX we can't fix - other than a total hardware failure.

Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

Decryption Guide

The programme showed as recording, the disk was making disky noises, but checking later it was nowhere.

We've had a few funnies with this machine: we had the opposite of the continuous delete problem, for one thing: we noticed the disk space was getting tight and found an instance of a programme where the end had somehow been missed, and it had recorded 39 hours of a 30-minute programme.

We've also had the "can't delete" problem, which goes away when you briefly restart playback and stop it again, and the odd instance of the "can't delete from the menu but can delete from the Opt+ menu" problem with failed recordings.

The filesystem on your media partition has probably gone read-only. Install the CF and find out how to run the fixdisk process.
If your remote is bu**ered, then buy a new one. Damned sight cheaper than buying a (crappy IMHO) 4000T.
Yes you can copy off to external drive. You need to read up about decryption if the recordings are HD.

The odd thing is that it only happened for one series. Problem is that it's one the mem'sahib likes to watch, so caused neck pain. Disk as a whole records fine. Deleted the folder, deleted the schedule, started again- no change. Weird.

Quite like the 4000. Despite the, erm, "challenged" interface.

We're on our third remote. They seem pretty crap. They're very sensitive to low battery, but even with fresh batteries, the machine sometimes becomes completely unresponsive, and other times seems to double-count whatever you do.

They're very sensitive to low battery, but even with fresh batteries, the machine sometimes becomes completely unresponsive,
That's possibly because you have not removed the filter that is in front of the IR receiver window.

The odd thing is that it only happened for one series. Problem is that it's one the mem'sahib likes to watch, so caused neck pain. Disk as a whole records fine. Deleted the folder, deleted the schedule, started again- no change. Weird.
The programme showed as recording, the disk was making disky noises, but checking later it was nowhere.
Are these comments about the same instance? If so, that is peculiar, and disk fixing isn't going to solve it. We might be able to work out why if you give us more detail about what you were trying to record.

We've had a few funnies with this machine: we had the opposite of the continuous delete problem, for one thing: we noticed the disk space was getting tight and found an instance of a programme where the end had somehow been missed, and it had recorded 39 hours of a 30-minute programme.
This can happpen, although we only usually see it when using the CF RTS facility (but rare). Our experience with that shows it is a possible occurrence, presumably triggered by a particular set of circumstances we haven't figured out yet.

We've also had the "can't delete" problem, which goes away when you briefly restart playback and stop it again, and the odd instance of the "can't delete from the menu but can delete from the Opt+ menu" problem with failed recordings.
You can't delete a recording if it hasn't been "released". That means if you have played it, it must be allowed to play to the end or stopped with the "stop" button. If you exit playback by any other means (which is possible) the recording remains locked until you play to the end or play and stop. This is normal.

Deleting from the OPT+ menu should be your habit - it is not possible to delete a failed recording (or a folder) from the "OK" menu. This is normal.

We're on our third remote. They seem pretty crap. They're very sensitive to low battery, but even with fresh batteries, the machine sometimes becomes completely unresponsive, and other times seems to double-count whatever you do.
I do not share this experience, with eight of them to my name (four in regular use) and no display filters removed. The original Rocket batteries in my handsets lasted for years, and the only issues I have had are specific button contacts getting dirty (OK button gets most use - there are instructions on the forum wiki how to clean them, but I haven't bothered so far).

Do you "abuse" your handset - sit on it, lose it down the back of the sofa, let the dog chew it, whatever?

All in all, there does not appear to be an awful lot actually wrong with your unit, it just needs a bit more user training.

[I] Quite like the 4000. Despite the, erm, "challenged" interface.
I don't own one, but the interface seems to be the main complaint with those who do (and is the subject of another forum section). You don't have to dislike the FVP-4000T, it has additional capabilities and if somebody came to it without being used to the HDR-FOX UI they wouldn't know any different. The main deficiency as far as we are concerned is the inability to hack it!

Last edited:
Damned sight cheaper than buying a (crappy IMHO) 4000T.
Why leave out the 1800T/2000T - I think they are still available - not as good as most of you say a Fox-T2 is, but not as crappy as a lot of people seem to think a 4000T is? :)

I do not share this experience, with eight of them to my name (four in regular use) and no display filters removed. The original Rocket batteries in my handsets lasted for years, and the only issues I have had are specific button contacts getting dirty (OK button gets most use - there are instructions on the forum wiki how to clean them, but I haven't bothered so far).

I took it he was talking about the 4000 remote, not the HDR-Fox remote.

Nor do I. I have stripped and cleaned mine once since new, and batteries last 'forever'

Back