Disk failing

So how did you turn it into a .hdf file without unzipping it? The instructions say nothing about renaming it, and if you didn't rename it the firmware update process would not have even looked at it.

The wiki instructions date back to a time when the downloaded file could have been a .hdf without unzipping it. The advantage of having the .hdf packaged in a zip file (even though it saves little in space) is that the name of the zip file can describe the version of the contents, whereas the .hdf file can only have a specific name for the update process to recognise it. A zip file can also contain a readme.txt to spell out the update process.

Last edited:
There's something about the line
"Ensure the resulting file is named HDR_FOX_T2_Upgrade.hdf"
that made me think to rename it.

As I said, if it said

I would find it clearer.

Anyway, another issue.

Web-IF is showing the following:-
Web%20-IF%20CF%20Successfully%20Installed.jpg

which, when I click on it, I get
Web%20-IF%20Install%20Error.jpg

Again, any help gratefully received.

Oh, I should say I reformatted the HDD with the HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.03.zip firmware.

It should restore your previous configuration, but you must over-write what is there already. You could just as well have restored /mod without bothering with the installation step.

Update: in fact, you can't. See below.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, BH.

For some reason, I can not connect via FTP, despite not altering any of the settings that allowed me to copy off /mnt/hd2/mod/ in the first place.

I can telnet in, so I have the right address.

I turned on the FTP server, but that hasn't made any difference.

Can anyone point out the dumb/obvious thing I am not doing?

Ha! Chicken and egg. The Humax FTP server (enabled by Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> FTP Server = On) will it allow access to non-media areas of the file system, so even if you could connect it wouldn't help.

I can't see (from here!) what you are doing wrong with the FTP per se, all I can say is that you should check you have done everything right (see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/how-to-transfer-files-to-and-from-the-hd-hdr-fox.6701/).

In order to restore from your backup, you will in fact have to start by installing (at the very least) the betaftpd package (and the Humax FTP server must be turned off). I have not tried, but it may be possible to just install betaftpd, using Telnet, without installing the WebIF.

In order to restore from your backup, you will in fact have to start by installing (at the very least) the betaftpd package (and the Humax FTP server must be turned off). I have not tried, but it may be possible to just install betaftpd, using Telnet, without installing the WebIF.
I think you are right: installing the custom firmware should be enough to establish the path to the package repository, but I am not sure either. Last.To.Know - open a telnet session, and from the command line, try the following:
Code:
opkg install betaftpd

Thank you all for your replies.

I think betaftpd is already installed.
Code:
humax# opkg install betaftpd
Package betaftpd (0.0.8pre17-4) installed in root is up to date.
humax#

As Web-IF allowed itself to be installed, I decided to install the packages I felt I needed, which was not that laborious.

Indeed, all settings (except Undelete) were already there.
(Unless I had just kept the default settings for each one!?).

Everything is going swimmingly, apart from this annoying FTP issue.

I've noticed jittery playback and diags reports the disk is failing - see attached.
I'm advised to go to disk diags which tells me there's a problem, but not how to fix it.
Any suggestions much appreciated
Thanks
Pete
View attachment 1854

Last week I replaced the original 500GB Seagate Pipeline drive with a WD AV 1TB 3.5" SATA Media Hard Drive. I'm sure they have a 2TB version as well. It's as quiet as a mouse and less heat due to lower 5400rpm spin speed.

ebuyer.com has the drive

Back