disk usage questions

books - yes, more and more shelves, archive boxes in the loft and very occasionally sacrilegious "selling" or "giving away" of books. Or bigger house...

Don't record anything you don't have time to watch. If it's recorded, watch it. When you've watched it, delete it. If you've watched it and want to keep it for the future, off-load it. Otherwise you will be forever maxing out your capacity, however big the disk is.
That's generally how I operate my box but the kids' stuff does tend to pile up somewhat. I have a 2TB disk which is about half full and half of the content is under /Children/. Every so often they will delete a series or two and free up a wadge.

Out of interest I just ran a report on the devices registered with RS for disk percentage used. Most people do tend to keep their disk about half full.

Code:
|                           0 | #############                |
|                          10 | ##############               |
|                          20 | ################             |
|                          30 | ###############              |
|                          40 | #####################        |
|                          50 | ######################       |
|                          60 | ####################         |
|                          70 | #################            |
|                          80 | ############                 |
|                          90 | ##########                   |
|                         100 | ###                          |

Or a NAS. Or two. Or FTP the files off and compress them to WMV or such like. That way you can store more than you could ever watch. How many of us keep all those books we ever bought and read, just in case we might want to read them again one day?

Wouldn't be without my 2TB NAS. Anything I want to keep gets copied off my Humax over the LAN, topped and tailed and adverts removed using VideoRedo, compressed with Handbrake and stored on my NAS (plus backed up to two other USB drives). And when that's full (in 2 years at current rate) I'll just buy another NAS. You can't ever have too much storage :).

Selling the children is not an option. I guess external drive or NAS is what I should look at and then work out what can be archived (and how easy it is to access then). In the meantime I have been manually deduping one of the CBeebies folders (one set are with Bedtime_Hour so dedup doesn't pick them up) and moving them to my PC (we had reception issues for a while so might find I have kept one with interference and need the dup one).

So I have got back to ~20G free I think. I was going to start auto-shrinking some stuff, but I presume I need even more space before it starts to work or perhaps more time (1 hour with box on)?

Just a quick update. My wife deleted a load of things and we now have 75G available (hurrah, massive amount). web-if shows 59G available. So 16G difference and that first with when the web-if showed 0 too.
So I think the 5% is probably right i.e. web-if doesn;t show the 5% as free, the humax must show (some of) the 5% as free but not quite the full 25G as presumably it reserves some for live pausing etc.

And it seems auto-shrink only affects new recordings? So I will give up with that.

Ah, I see! The auto-shrink doesn't do the whole _original folder thing that the manual shrink does. I was waiting for those to appear as my indicator that it was working. I've only just noticed the new icons on the files. Doh!

Ta.

Ah, I see! The auto-shrink doesn't do the whole _original folder thing that the manual shrink does. I was waiting for those to appear as my indicator that it was working. I've only just noticed the new icons on the files. Doh!

Ta.
If you have undelete installed then it puts the original files into the dustbin, otherwise they are removed. It's different to the manual process (although perhaps they should be more unified)

cloud9: I am one of the people who currently runs at around 50% full - mainly due to upgrading to a 2TB drive :)

There is plenty of guidance on doing the upgrade (e.g. http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/2TB_Disk_Installation_Blog) and for £80 spend I have twice the on box storage and a 1TB drive to play around with (via a usb caddy I already had). I was 'prompted' by a few disk issues but I was already watching disk prices so it didn't take much of a prod.

Black Hole is of course correct in his analysis and this may not be the route for you for many reasons: so long as you are aware that it is an option.

For me I have a large mug / cup at work 'cos I want to make tea infrequently.

Yes, it's not that I want to micromanage the disk space, but I can't really delete things my wife (or son) is hoping to watch someday. And even moving things can cause problems.

The disk upgrade sounds tempting, but also slightly risky/daunting. I am fairly technical, but an attempt at doing an SSD conversion for my main machine made me realise I know nothing about low level OS / disk stuff (following some internet advise to change the partition start offset seemed to kill Windows each time). I might go for an external disk to start with. Though a good point that the old disk could become an external disk with a caddy.

(oh, and of course finding time is always the problem, especially for something like a disk upgrade)

Back