DLNA access to external drives on Humax

Sam1993

Hi

Hope you can help.

I have a HDR FOX T2 and have enabled DLNA Server. My Humax also has an external USB drive. The issue I have is that when I access the DLNA server on the HUMAX I can only see and stream files on the Internal HD, I cannot access the external drive files.

I can see the files on the external drive using a web browser or windows file explorer.

What I would like to do is stream the content on the external drives to devices on my internal network.

Is this possible?

Have a look at the mvdisks package which presents the external drive as a folder within the internal one.
You'll need to let the DLNA server index the new files - the easiest way to do that is to restart the Humax after installing the package.

(I'm assuming custom firmware is installed since you mention the web interface - I'll move this thread to the custom firmware section of the forum)

Last edited:
Be warned that by adding the external drive to the internal file system in this way will cause the Humax firmware to believe there is more drive space to record in than it really has.

Instead of using the DLNA server to access recordings from elsewhere, an alternative is to set the HDR up as network attached storage (samba package), which (as installed) exposes any USB drives to the network share. Of course, without using the DLNA server all recordings will need to be pre-decrypted, nonetheless I think this is the best way to go.

Be warned that by adding the external drive to the internal file system in this way will cause the Humax firmware to believe there is more drive space to record in than it really has.
Are you sure about this? I wouldn't expect that behaviour.

Well, I'm pretty sure it has been discussed here, maybe somebody should go looking for the original comment.

Should be easy enough to demonstrate: connect a USB drive, use mvdisks, and check the free space pie chart in the SUI. (I'm not near my boxes)

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for your responses. Yes, I do have the Custom firmware installed and have enabled Samba.

I don't seem to have the mvdisk package. Any idea how I could get this?

What is the best way to decrypt the files?

Thanks

Settings > Advanced settings, then Show development and advanced packages? Set to "Yes" then mvdisk should be in the much longer list.

Browse> Video folder > Opt+ then check "Enable recursive auto decrypt" Must have content sharing on as well.
Someone will correct me and pour scorn on my efforts if that is wrong.

Last edited:
Well, I'm pretty sure it has been discussed here, maybe somebody should go looking for the original comment.
Should be easy enough to demonstrate: connect a USB drive, use mvdisks, and check the free space pie chart in the SUI. (I'm not near my boxes)
Just tried it with a 500GB USB drive. With mvdisks installed it appears under My Video/usb-drive1 but the space shown in system info hasn't changed.
The only gotcha (or feature?) with mvdisks that I'm aware of is that processes like auto-decrypt will start working on the external drive.

Is that bad?
It might be unexpected.. particularly if you've forgotten you have something like flatten running but in general I think it's the point of the package - to treat external disks like internal.

Just as a MOI, does auto-unprotect need to be active as well as auto-decrypt or has the former been depreciated by the latter?

It is also very easy for the non-techy members of the family to casually delete the mvdisks folder, and thereby destroy the contents of the USB disk.

Hi

Thanks for your help. Have now loaded mvdisk but how do I use this to mount my external USB drive as Internal?
Do I have to be in cli mode to do this, what is the command? Thanks.

Merry Christmas.

Hi

My mistake. mvdisk - no need for any further action it adds the external drives to the internal filesystem automatically and are now indexed by DLNA.

Thanks for your help.

Back