DLNA and Mediatomb

Alan thanks for that I'll have a go.

I use Samba for copying files in and out. Moving and all that whilst I run a cable to feed the audio into the kitchen I won't be able to do that in the new place so was thinking UPnP, failing that have to look at a AV transmitter / receiver.

At the TV end I ended up using a Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4 which can connect to and play files on the HDR, seeing it just as network storage. Its a bit clunky but it does the job.

At the TV end I ended up using a Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4 which can connect to and play files on the HDR, seeing it just as network storage. Its a bit clunky but it does the job.

Looks an interesting solution if I can run it off my tablet since I won't have a screen. The question whether the remote app that is talked about shows what would be on the TV screen.

The question whether the remote app that is talked about shows what would be on the TV screen.

I can't advise on that - I haven't tried to use its ability to 'cast' to the TV. I just have it connected by HDMI to the bedroom TV and wirelessly to one or other of the HDRs in the house. The onboard GUI allows you to navigate the HDRs file structure to choose what to watch.

I can't advise on that - I haven't tried to use its ability to 'cast' to the TV. I just have it connected by HDMI to the bedroom TV and wirelessly to one or other of the HDRs in the house. The onboard GUI allows you to navigate the HDRs file structure to choose what to watch.

It would appear you can get it into render mode. Think I'm going to settle on a Bluetooth transmitter and receiver so I'll just start the playback and run down the staircase to the kitchen / dinner area. The wonders of having a gallery lounge, although with a spare remote which I have I migh be able to control it from downstairs over the gallery. Fun.

That's rather a conundrum. One normally needs some kind of visual display to handle the navigation.

If I might comment: I don't like throwing money at a problem, but equally I find trying to penny-pinch is rarely satisfactory. Identifying the right solution, and then a moderate amount spent on implementing it, is rewarded by potentially years of convenience.

So, you are trying to access audio stored on the HDR-FOX and use Mediatomb to serve it (presumably because the native DLNA server doesn't recognise the file format). It seems to me that all you really need is a cheap Android tablet and SMB network access to the HDR-FOX via WiFi - ditch Mediatomb. You can then settle for the tablet sound or pass it through to some Bluetooth speakers. If you want something trialled I can do it here - I already have everything necessary.

I already have a Neet renderer which I use with my tablet for access to Minimserver on a Raspberry Pi, laptop GetiPlayer and music collection of Flac on a 2gb drive plugged into my Asus router. Whilst that works 95 percent of the time when I take the tablet out with me, 95 percent of the time I have to reboot the Neet device and tablet to get the renderer to reappear again.

If I could have got the Humax to appear on Bubble I would have bought another Neet box for the kitchen. Current arrangement is a cable run from the back of the Humax into the loft, across the property, back down and into the back kitchen.

I'm getting two of these so and plug into the A/V audio TOS out so I'll be able to listen to any source whilst cooking, eating or lounging about down the bottom:

Avantree Oasis LONG RANGE Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver, aptX Low Latency, Optical RCA 3.5mm Audio, VOICE & DISPLAY, BYPASS for TV Speakers

They have TOS in and out plus your normal audio. So TOS in upstairs, audio out downstairs.

I have a bunch of mp3s on my humax served by media tomb over DLNA. I can and do listen to that in the kitchen using chromecast audio controlled by AllCast on a number of devices. Other options are available.
but they tend to be one big long file. not so good at playing tracks. Radio programmes mostly.
Big cables and running downstairs seems sub optimal.

Back