DLNA of HiDef recordings with new UPdate

mcentee2

Hi - again, have had a quick look for the answer to this, but either the threads are too complicated, or its hidden in there!

If I put the new (10) update on my 1.2.20 version will I be able to see and play the HiDef recordings across my LAN to my Windows 7 PC ?

Or will I have to make some changes, or follow a process to get unencrypted and streamed ?

I did see a couple of threads re Foxy and copying to USBs but wasn't sure if that was now still relevant ?

Thanks

It depends how "modded" you want to go. If you want no mods at all, you need to follow Black Hole's Trail Guide to decrypt to USB using FTP and Foxy to prepare the files. If you are prepared to take the plunge with the MSP then auto-unprotect and WebIF download across the network is all you need.

Splash Player seems to be the HiDef player-of-choice on PC, but it won't stream - only play the file once you've downloaded it (decrypted).

Modded is good for me :)

I have just put mod 1.10 on my HDR, have installed and downloaded the full EWb INterface and am just ging throught he packages -can see autounprotect and will install it.

Can't seem to see the "WebIF download across the net" though ? (I have enabled Dev packages as well )

It's available through a page in the web interface (aka "webif" or "mongoose"). Having installed webif on the Humax and accessed it on your PC's browser, go to the "Browse media files" page and select a file. Click the Opt+ button and Download is one of the options.

If you've just installed auto-unprotect, it's best to give the system half an hour or so to clear all the Enc flags before you download anything.

Make sure you have the media sharing option turned on in the Humax's system menu.

Ok, thanks, got that up and running, unenc file now copied over to my PC, so am now looking at just the being able to stream decrypted from the HDR.

I notice there is a virtual-disk package. Are there any available instructions for this, or caveats, ie if I start it how do I configure it etc, and will I lose existing recordings ? Presumably I will still have do something manually to get the files across to the new partition or can it all be done automatically ?

If you're using the Download option in webif you probably won't need the virtual disk. It is an earlier solution to decrypting/downloading files on the Humax, providing a virtual drive that looks to the Humax like an external USB drive. A file with its Enc flag cleared could be copied, via the Humax remote, to the virtual drive instead of to an external drive. The copy on virtual would be decrypted by the copying process and could then be FTPed to your PC. This is both quicker than using a physical USB disk and avoids all the hassle with incompatible disk formats.

Historically, Foxy came first as a way of making HD files decryptable. Then the virtual disk speeded up the process and made an external disk unnecessary. Samba provides a way of accessing the virtual drive from Windows Explorer, removing the requirement for FTP. Currently, the Download option in the webif provides a quicker and more convenient, one-step, way of achieving the same result - decrypted files downloaded to your PC.

There is no other obvious use for the virtual drive.

...so am now looking at just the being able to stream decrypted from the HDR.
I know of no solution to streaming HiDef at the moment, nothing I'm aware of that can stream is also able to decode the HiDef video.

XBMC is able to find the server and play StDef, but has no transport control beyond start, stop, and pause.
VLC can't negotiate DLNA, but if you give it the mediaID URL directly (Media.. Open Network Stream) it will stream StDef and give you full transport control (FF/REW etc).
VLC can also start playing a StDef file you are downloading before its complete (wget <mediaID URL>, or WebIF download).
Splash Player will play StDef and HiDef once downloaded and complete (not before), but can't stream.

There are other possibilities, and this is where the virtual drive comes in. If you are keen on using the Humax as the NAS to keep your treasure on, you can do the decrypt-copy to virtual, and then use Samba to mount the virtual drive into your Windows file system and use Splash to play the file as if it were on your local PC. In theory.

Many thaks for that overview!

Yes, its that last option I am thinking of, but can't find any obvious way of how to setup the virtual drive, and automate the decryption/copy to it after a recording.

Once I have watched the programme from the remote PC (i.e when the opther family members are usign the main TV) I can delete the file to free up virtual drive space.

Many thaks for that overview!

Yes, its that last option I am thinking of, but can't find any obvious way of how to setup the virtual drive, and automate the decryption/copy to it after a recording.

Once I have watched the programme from the remote PC (i.e when the opther family members are usign the main TV) I can delete the file to free up virtual drive space.
Just install the Virtual disk package via the Web Interface, and it's ready to use. Then simply use the remote control to copy recordings to it, which will then decrypt them.

...no automation, sorry.

Frankly I don't find it any real hardship to record things in StDef when I know I want to shovel them around. I thought iPlayer was pretty good on my notebook, but StDef playback is better.

Ok, virtualdrive installed :)

As you say, nothing else to do but a manul copy using the remote.

I like that the virtualdrive is only as big as it needs to be :) and the copying is a tad faster, as its on the same disk, as across the LAN.

Thanks everyone.

VLC can't negotiate DLNA, but if you give it the mediaID URL directly (Media.. Open Network Stream) it will stream StDef and give you full transport control (FF/REW etc).

VLC Linux worked for me the other day with DLNA and HD content. You just use the media browser and look under UPNP devices. You should see the Humax there and be able to browse the content. Maybe the Windows version does not support this?

Yes, I should have mentioned that the Linux VLC has DLNA capabilities that have not so far appeared in the Windows version. I didn't know it would work with HiDef though, most people report problems with the sound - which seems to be something to do with a change of sound format between the lead-in stuff and the actual program. Perhaps this goes away when not using a leading padding (provided AR works properly).

I used XBMC last night and had audio issues with the decrypted streaming from the virtual drive. PC Left channel seemed ok, but right channel kept breaking up and crackling.

Yes, I should have mentioned that the Linux VLC has DLNA capabilities that have not so far appeared in the Windows version. I didn't know it would work with HiDef though, most people report problems with the sound - which seems to be something to do with a change of sound format between the lead-in stuff and the actual program. Perhaps this goes away when not using a leading padding (provided AR works properly).

I detected a slight lip-sync issue but apart from this had no problems, I use A.R. not padding.

Hopefully not straying off topic, but maybe the lip sync issues are elsewhere ? I take the optical out from the back the HDR to my AV amp and seem to have slight lip sync delay on any HD channels - the picture is slightly ahead of the voice, so there is nothing I can configure - if I use the lip sync setting to increase the time, it just increases the delay between picture and voice :(

Seems to be the case for either stereo or multichannel output setting in the system/audio menu.

SD channels don't seem affected as much.

Hopefully not straying off topic, but maybe the lip sync issues are elsewhere ? I take the optical out from the back the HDR to my AV amp and seem to have slight lip sync delay on any HD channels - the picture is slightly ahead of the voice, so there is nothing I can configure - if I use the lip sync setting to increase the time, it just increases the delay between picture and voice :(

Seems to be the case for either stereo or multichannel output setting in the system/audio menu.

SD channels don't seem affected as much.

The recorded content is just a dump of the broadcast stream as far as i know so the problem is either at broadcast (not the case because it's fine on the Humax) or in the player (in this case VLC). I think the issue in your case the delay is in the processing of the audio as it passes extra stages compared to the picture. SD does not use multi-channel audio so less work to be done.

That's my guess anyway!

Yes, just thought it sort of odd it was only on the HD channels on the HDR, the Samsung TV doesn't have a delay and it is Freeview HD as well.

Back