DLNA picture quality

catnap

I have recently changed my setup for various reasons - mainly to reduce technical clutter. My main HDRT2 was connected by HDMI to my main TV (Loewe). I have now moved it to another room where is has a wired connection to my home network but is not connected to a TV or aerial. I am using it to stream recorded content to the TV. Auto-unprotect is installed, but I don't know if that is relevant.

It appears to me that the picture quality for both SD and HD recordings is superior to that when the connection was by HDMI. Clearly this is a subjective judgement. Could this be because the TV is now handling all the upscaling? Also am I correct in presuming that the T2 v-format options only apply to HDMI?

One caveat is that there are occasional split second black screen interruptions during streaming. These seem to be at certain scene change points though I can't yet be sure. It is a very minor issue.

am I correct in presuming that the T2 v-format options only apply to HDMI?
Of course. DLNA simply sends the recorded file as is.

Could this be because the TV is now handling all the upscaling?
The DLNA client is handling all the conversion from .ts to displayed video. If you are getting poor quality from the HDMI, check the output settings on the Humax and the input settings on the TV.

Thanks for the confirmation and explanation BH. The HDMI quality seemed very good to me, but the streamed picture appears slightly better. I have previously had handshake problems where on switching to the Humax as a HDMI source the TV displayed snow - this could be resolved by cycling through the v-format settings, but that is another matter.

Funnily enough I've been playing with using the DLNA server in the router to play 720p Youtube videos on the HDR and thought the picture was subjectively better than when playing the same video via a share. Then I found this thread.

Back