DLNA streaming between two HDR Fox T2 PVRs

The lone ranger

I have just purchased a second HDR Fox T2 so that I can access recordings on one box from the other in a different room over wifi via "Contents Share". Both boxes have official firmware version FHTCP 1.03.12 (27 Feb 2014) installed. With "Contents Share" on, my network speed is shown as 135.0 Mps.

SD programs and short hidef programs stream without any problem. I can even watch a recording on PVR1 via PVR2 whilst simultaneously watching a recording on PVR2 via PVR1. However hidef recordings stop playing over wifi after about an hour.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known limitation?

I have a vague recollection of this being a bug in the firmware. Install the Custom Firmware and decrypt the content in situ. That way you can stream to devices like smart TV. phones and tablets.

See Things Every... (click) section 1.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known limitation?
I don't think you are doing something wrong, and neither is it a limitation (on current firmware). Try resetting your router.

By installing custom firmware and configuring it appropriately, you can have both HDRs access recordings on each other's HDDs as if they were locally-connected USB drives. This means you can set and use bookmarks, rename/move/delete recordings (even though they are stored on the other HDR), resume play from where last stopped (from either HDR!), etc etc. However, if your network is giving up after an hour or so, the same problem will occur with CF remote access.

Second what Black Hole says... works very nicely like that and accepted as "just working" by others in the house understanding they can skip, delete, know what was watched and do everything else regardless, much better than using content share.

By installing custom firmware and configuring it appropriately, you can have both HDRs access recordings on each other's HDDs as if they were locally-connected USB drives.
Can this be done on a brace of foxsats? If anyone can confirm:)/deny :(this, I'll have a good look round for how to do it (if confirmed;))

Can this be done on a brace of foxsats? If anyone can confirm:)/deny :(this, I'll have a good look round for how to do it (if confirmed;))

To achieve similar, the answer is yes. Briefly you need the nasmount package (part of the CF) installed on each. You then crossmount each Foxsat as a NAS drive on the other. Note playing back a recording remotely will alter the file path in the .hmt file on the source machine, so the recording is no longer visible on this machine. The fixfilepaths package (also installed on both machine) will auto correct this for you.

Thanks GLT. My mate has borrowed mine and he has one already, so I might just explore that further.

Thanks for all your replies. My apologies for the delay in replying, but I wanted to test out the functionality on a really long HD recording. I reset my router as Black Hole suggested and then tested my setup by recording The Royal Variety Performance last night (162 minutes). I played it back remotely and it was brilliant - no pauses or hiccups.

So now I am keen to install the custom firmware that will add the functionality Black Hole mentioned. Please could Black Hole let me know the easiest way to install the software to install to achieve just that functionality, and do I need to install it on both PVRs?

Hi Black Hole
I tried to follow the network share auto mount procedure, but found it too difficult to follow. I then found the Foxlink package, and tried to implement that. I thought I had followed the instructions exactly for linking two HDRs, but it didn't work. I was unsure about the configuration section though - which HDR should I configure - the one with the recordings on that I want to access remotely, or the remote (viewing) HDR? Also should I use 1.2.3.4 as the source HDR IP address, or is this just an example?

Last edited by a moderator:
I then found the Foxlink package, and tried to implement that. I thought I had followed the instructions exactly for linking two HDRs, but it didn't work. I was unsure about the configuration section though - which HDR should I configure - the one with the recordings on that I want to access remotely, or the remote (viewing) HDR? Also should I use 1.2.3.4 as the source HDR IP address, or is this just an example?
Foxlink isn't for linking two HDRs! They are for linking an HDR-FOX T2 and an HD-FOX T2

Hi Black Hole
I tried to follow the network share auto mount procedure, but found it too difficult to follow.
How far did you get? Have you got the custom firmware up and running first?

Foxlink isn't for linking two HDRs! They are for linking an HDR-FOX T2 and an HD-FOX T2

How far did you get? Have you got the custom firmware up and running first?

Hi Luke

I thought the only difference between the HD and the HDR was the presence of a disk. I didn't realise. That they ran different software. Thanks.
I got the custom firmware installed on both HDRs, but didn't really understand how to set up the subdirectories in ModSettings

Very helpful (not!), putting your reply to replace the quote of my post - it means I have to use jiggery-pokey to quote you! (Update: the post has now been edited to remove the incorrect quotation tags.)

I tried to follow the network share auto mount procedure, but found it too difficult to follow. I then found the Foxlink package, and tried to implement that. I thought I had followed the instructions exactly for linking two HDRs, but it didn't work. I was unsure about the configuration section though - which HDR should I configure - the one with the recordings on that I want to access remotely, or the remote (viewing) HDR? Also should I use 1.2.3.4 as the source HDR IP address, or is this just an example?

You have to replace that with the actual IP address of the server! You will need your server to have a static IP address - if you leave it to its own devices it can change each boot when it applies for an address from your router (DHCP server). Read this: Configuring IP Address (click)

Foxlink will work, but I think it is better to get your head around network-shares-automount - when things go wrong (which they will, occasionally), you need to understand how it works so you can work out what's wrong and fix it.

The NSA instructions are lengthy, they are in a topic which developed with the package, but post 1 explains the basics and then refers out to specific examples - in particular post 244 demonstrates the set-up up you need:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/page-13#post-20016

In summary:
  1. Ensure you have taken measures to make the server (ie the "host" HDR-FOX) IP address static (see Configuring IP Address - click).
  2. Ensure you have taken measures that content you wish to share from the server will be decrypted (see Guide to Decryption - click).
  3. Install samba on the server.
  4. Install network-shares-automount on the client.
  5. On the client: use WebIF or the remote control handset (SUI - Standard User Interface) to navigate to the auto-generated [Modsettings] folder, go into the smb sub-folder, and within that create a new folder named whatever you like (this will be the name of the remote server in the client's drive list). In a few moments a set of folders will be auto-created within your new folder.
  6. Use the SUI or WebIF to edit the names of the auto-generated folders to configure the settings for accessing the server, use NSA post 244 as a guide (you need to know the IP address for the server).
  7. Ensure you have enabled virtual drives on the client: either plug in a real USB device (I just have a cheap UPD plugged in) or install virtual-drive2 (which means you get an annoying pop-up each boot).
  8. Be patient.
  9. On the client SUI: Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB will now list the server as the name you selected, along with the real or virtual USB drive you installed. Navigate and play!

Last edited:
See Things Every... (click) section 1.

By installing custom firmware and configuring it appropriately, you can have both HDRs access recordings on each other's HDDs as if they were locally-connected USB drives. .

Hi BH. The network shares automount is a massive topic and I've read the stuff above! Can you point me to something showing the configuration for two HDR's sharing each others HDDs to each other successfully. I saw one post which said only one could be server and one client, but that's not the case is it? Thanks

Back