DNLA Server - Alternative Strategy?

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Been thinking:

Assuming I installed the hack and had a DNLA server running on the Hummy, I would *possibly* be able to stream content to a Digital Stream box elsewhere on the network (my goal).

But: the Hummy would have to be on and not in danger of starting a scheduled recording (there are indications it doesn't have enough horse-power to do both), and in order to prepare a recording to be streamed I would have to telnet into the Hummy and clear the Enc flag (assuming it's HD), then (with a USB stick plugged in) use the handset to copy the files onto the USB or a virtual disc.

It seems to me I might as well copy (decrypt) the files to a real USB drive, then plug the drive into a network DNLA server. That being the case, I can FTP the relevant file to Foxy the enc flag, and then I don't need to hack the Hummy at all, but it still means two processes: one from the PC and another standing in front of the Hummy.

What would be really good, if anybody with the skills would like to look at it, is to use the Hummy-installed mht utility (the equivalent of Foxy) to implement an addition to the OPT+ menu to clear the enc flag, thus making it accessible from the handset rather than having to use a PC.

Maybe Af123's "auto-unprotect" package would do what you want.

http://www.hummy.tv/forum/posts/2863/

Af123 said:
I've just uploaded a new package auto-unprotect. A package that scans the disk for new HD recordings every 10 minutes while the T2 is powered on and automatically unprotects them so that they will by decrypted if they are subsequently copied using the remote control. You can change the scan interval by editing root's crontab.

Good point, I had forgotten about that.

Still, a customised on-screen menu with a "clear enc flag" option would be really cool!

Okay, I've had a rethink and come up with a less sophisticated scheme with fewer potential pitfalls:

Get auto-unprotect running; then use "sneakernet" to distribute recordings - dedicate a USB drive to copy onto (a necessary operation for decryption) and physically move the drive to the playback location.

Please can somebody describe step-by-step the process of getting auto-unprotect running in the background? I know it involves loading the patched firmware just like a manual update and then logging into it by Telnet, but what then?

Please can somebody describe step-by-step the process of getting auto-unprotect running in the background? I know it involves loading the patched firmware just like a manual update and then logging into it by Telnet, but what then?

Having gained command access via telnet, just type:

Code:
humax# opkg update
humax# opkg install auto-unprotect

Back