Do HDMI cables go bad?

Beware cheapo Currys cables. This is the one. It's a bit like LED lighting - it might cost a bit more but you won't need a replacement for ages. Also, it's long enough so you can watch the living room TV while you're in bed.

IIRC HDMI is only specified for 10m max. I don't doubt it can work over greater lengths than that, but it will be pushing the timing margins (engineer's rule of thumb: 150ns round trip at 10m). The expensive cables reduce the signal loss, but can't do anything about timings.

BTW, my 10m cable cost £9 delivered (yes, I do realise Fenlander was jesting).

Last edited:
What a flamin' week... Blistering heat and humidity. Lack of sleep. Power cuts. Pigeons. Failed computers. Now on second motherboard and third power supply. The iffy HDMI cable that worked between old motherboard and HDMI switch most certainly didn't with the new (different) motherboard. So now it is going to get binned.

You wouldn't have a link for humax spares would you? I need at least one motherboard if I can get one. I cant see a link on the site.
A lightenling strike last night took out half the mux's on one box and seems to have done something to the other - strange image on that startup screen
with the grey oval - maybe a ram chip damaged.

thanks

You wouldn't have a link for humax spares would you? I need at least one motherboard if I can get one.
My comments were about PC motherboards and power supplies I'm afraid, not Humax ones.
I've been suffering with the consequences of trying to swap back to my warranty replacement board for nearly a week now. Given how I had no problems previously, I thought it would be a doddle and stupidly didn't have a backup of my root volume, which has suffered somehow. Have finally given up and am reinstalling :(.

Thanks for the replies... sorry about confusion.

I've had quite a fun time this month - 2 faulty hdmi switch boxes (one I fixed) and a replacement with a faulty PSU which had to be exchanged, a humax that stops outputting whenever it
feels like it (still working but irritating) the zapped box that seems dead (exchanging psu not cured it) the irritating one "only getting half the muxes" on it - an LCD display that randomly
went black (now proved it to be that) but worked fine for 4-6 hours if a cable taken out of the switch box and plugged in directly (presumably to kick the sync on its hdmi circuit)
a replacement LCD display to replace it that had to be returned because the display was almost black and a replacement for that (different model) with a gamma setting
that seems to be turned right down in spite of my spalashing out for the IPS panel.

And then there's the things that really went wrong...

Sometimes a marvin immitation just isn't enough .... ;-)

Just back from holiday to find we hsve had another power cut and Humax is sick again. This time I have no output on HDMI (white screen) but still OK via analogue scart and dvd recorder. However, on startup I hsd several spontaneous restarts after Humax initial screen showing loader version. Just before I went away I replaced HDMI cable with one from pound shop which was working fine.
Contemplating installing custom software or reinstalling the latest "official" fitmware. Does that sound reasonable and if so which should I try first?

It makes no difference which you try first - if your problem is that the firmware needs refreshing, either will do it.

Back