Do I need to copy HD files to virtual disk on HD FOXT2?

Hi,

After a bit of research I picked up the Humax HD FOXT2 at the end of last week to compliment my Toppy 5800. I already had a portable 500GB hard drive to plug in!

The idea is, like the Toppy, to be able to pull the files off the Humax and put them on my video server for viewing with an Asus O! Play. Although the HUMAX will be exclusively used for HD files.

Firstly, I find the Asus O! Play doesn't need any fancy DNLA stuff, it just sees the files in shared folders on my network. So a quick OPT+ and copy to the virtual disk and I can view Humax SD files anywhere (having installed samba, obviously).

Now I notice that the Webif interface on the Humax HD FOXT2 has “auto-unprotect” available.

I understand that “auto-unprotect” will decrypt HD files “on the fly” on the HDR FOXT2, but not the HD FOXT2.

Now here are my questions, as my playback device (Asus O! Play) does not require DNLA to see files on a network will I be able to get away with just removing the Enc flag on HD recordings. Or will I have to copy the HD file to the virtual disk?

Secondly, if I'm not recording anything (i.e. overnight), could I just boot into HDR mode and leave the HD files to decrypt automatically?

We don't get FreeviewHD down in Hampshire till Wednesday, so I realise I can do all the tests I need then, but my impatience is getting the better of me!

Thanks for the very helpful guide about customised firmware etc. It was very easy to follow.

And although I can't find it now, somewhere on here as part of a guide or glossary or something, there's a link to Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's “One Leg Too Few” sketch – which made me laugh. Both the sketch (which I know well) and the fact that someone had linked to it!

Best wishes

Nobby.

P.S. I'm currently following the "edit the ads out of the Humax files" thread, so will gladly help out with testing on Windows and Linux.

Everything you need can be found starting with the following links (or just go to the top of the forum listing and look at the pinned topics - that's why they are there):

QUICK START GUIDE

NEW READERS START HERE

as my playback device (Asus O! Play) does not require DNLA to see files on a network will I be able to get away with just removing the Enc flag on HD recordings. Or will I have to copy the HD file to the virtual disk?

You need to remove the Enc flag and run HDR Mode and do a handset OPT+ copy, otherwise the recording will remain encrypted. Refer to the differences between HD- and HDR-FOX (see links above).

The HD-FOX will need help to make files available on the network as it has no native means to do it. That means either running Mediatomb as a substitute DLNA server, or Samba as a NAS server. Either way the files need to be decrypted first.

Secondly, if I'm not recording anything (i.e. overnight), could I just boot into HDR mode and leave the HD files to decrypt automatically?

Not available on the HD-FOX (see above).

And although I can't find it now, somewhere on here as part of a guide or glossary or something, there's a link to Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's “One Leg Too Few” sketch – which made me laugh. Both the sketch (which I know well) and the fact that someone had linked to it!

It's in the Glossary (see links above), entry about the HD-FOX. I'm glad somebody reads it!

Thank you for your reply!

I was getting confused between "unprotect" and "decrypted".

All working well here. I've tested an HD file and it plays fine on my Asus O! Play (from the HD FOXT2) once decrypted to the virtual disk.

Now I just need to find the HD channels on my Remote Scheduling page?

I set it all up ahead of DSO part two, so will wait to see if the RS guide updates overnight.

Back