Do I need to install Official Firmware before installing Customized Firmware?

Kirbett

I wasn't sure if the CF download was a replacement for or an add-on to the Official firmware, and the wiki doesn't seem to make that clear. So I just upgraded from HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_2.21 to HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.00 by first downloading and installing the official HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12. For future reference, was that necessary?

Kirbett

Version 3.00 onwards completely replaces any need to install a standard firmware, but at least one user has got into a state that required installing standard firmware before proceeding.

The release notes (on the wiki) read:
Unified installation image that can safely by applied on top of any existing version, custom or otherwise, in a single step;

Previous versions of Custom Firmware were an add-on the the official Humax firmware, so for example HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_2.20 could only be installed on top of the official Humax version 1.02.20, however the current HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.00 is a complete firmware version and does not require 1.03.12 to be install first, It will do no harm to install say the official Humax 1.03.12 firmware followed by HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.00 but it is not necessary

Unified installation image that can safely by applied on top of any existing version, custom or otherwise, in a single step;

I rather agree with Kirbett - that's obviously correct if you know about it but if you are new to CF and not very technical it's not very clear.
How about:
"This is a single package that includes both the official and custom firmware and will replace any and all currently installed firmwares."

Back