• Yes

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
do you define a runaway recording differently?
I was using the parlance that has been much discussed and become standard on this forum: as Mymsman says, a "runaway recording" is one that does not terminate as a side effect of RTS.

I was not aware of this three-hour override - does that mean if one set a recording for longer than that it should terminate after three hours whether we like it or not?

I was using the parlance that has been much discussed and become standard on this forum: as Mymsman says, a "runaway recording" is one that does not terminate as a side effect of RTS.
I disagree; a runaway recording is one that doesn't terminate when expected for any reason. Here is a link to a discussion on runaway recordings from 2008 indicating that the term has been in use for a very long time https://www.avforums.com/threads/humax-9200t-recording-stop-problems.693113/ There are, I suspect various causes for runaway recordings and RTS is only one of them.
I was not aware of this three-hour override - does that mean if one set a recording for longer than that it should terminate after three hours whether we like it or not?
There is no three hour override. If you read what Mymsmans actually said it is two hours after the expected finish time. Match of the Day was an hour and a bit so a recording of around 3 hours roughly fits what is expected.

'Scuse me, but I said ON THIS FORUM. I don't frequent other forums, and we have an extended conversation about runaway recordings on this forum which refer to the context I was using. I am not aware of the term being active in any other context ON THIS FORUM. Not only does your link refer to another forum, it is also for a different PVR.

So scheduled end 23:50, actual end 01.550. Sounds like 2 hour 'overrun to me'
As it has overrun it's scheduled end, that sounds like a bit of a runaway to me unless the distance that it has to run for a runaway is defined. If so, what do you call one that terminates 3hrs after scheduled end?

Will see what happens tonight when it is scheduled to record MoTD2.
Well it went into standby about 15 minutes before the scheduled start but did not start recording. In WebIf the AR symbol in the schedule had what looked like falling coloured snow over it. Not sure what this means but must assume there is a problem.
Have power cycled it as it would not go out of standby. Will try again tomorrow and, if it fails again, will follow @MymsMan 's advice above re the schedule.

'Scuse me, but I said ON THIS FORUM. I don't frequent other forums, and we have an extended conversation about runaway recordings on this forum which refer to the context I was using. I am not aware of the term being active in any other context ON THIS FORUM. Not only does your link refer to another forum, it is also for a different PVR.
It is for a Humax PVR. In post 13 you made no reference to this Forum. So what term are you going to use to refer to recordings that continue longer than they should but are nothing to do with RTS?

Have power cycled it as it would not go out of standby. Will try again tomorrow and, if it fails again, will follow @MymsMan 's advice above re the schedule.
Given that it's misbehaving in various ways tinkering it better could take forever. You need to get to a 'last known good' and for these things that's a flush, factory defaults and setup everything again (manually, not from backups). I'd be tempted to remove and reinstall the CFW while it's (metaphorically) in pieces too. The whole process probably only takes an hour or so once you have the thumb drive ready and noted down all the settings, etc.

[Blush]:(:(:([/Blush]
Sorry everybody but, due to my memory fade, I forgot I had set up padding in boot-settings. No wonder the poor thing was confused. I removed the option, reset the box to no padding, restarted and, after testing this pm, all is running as expected.
Hopefully all the 'old' scheduled programs will be okay too.

Just an observation, and I know this thread was only started on Friday, but with 7000+ members, I would have thought there would be more support for this poll.

That might give you an idea what proportion of those 7000+ are actual active regular contributors (do lurkers vote in polls?). There doesn't seem to be a forum facility to list users by date last seen, otherwise we could assess how many people have visited since Friday - perhaps that's something admin can do.

Just an observation, and I know this thread was only started on Friday, but with 7000+ members, I would have thought there would be more support for this poll.

But how many are active followers of this foum?
  • some will be owners of other Humax models
  • some will be ex-users of Humax who never deregister
  • some cant be bothered to logon
  • many only visit the forums once in a blue moon

I've always used AR and very rarely had any problems. The last time was when the BBC cocked things up a few months ago. On balance I find the ability of AR to track programmes being moved about, especially by the BBC, better than the odd time something does go wrong.

On balance I find the ability of AR to track programmes being moved about, especially by the BBC, better than the odd time something does go wrong.
I agree. There is no perfect strategy that will guarantee to record everything but for us accurate recording is the best compromise. Sadly the later FVP models are not as good when programmes are moving in the schedule.

Yes, it doesn't matter which strategy you use, there will always be times it doesn't work. Remember when VCRs were programmed by dumb timer? On balance, I reckon AR wins - but it's a difficult sell to ones "clients" if their programme hasn't recorded due to broadcaster error.

Back